Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Discussion : DIY Components.

I plan to ask digi01 to make me a few small PCB boards that might be useful for all DIY project. These are what i need : Constant current source for Class A biasing, discrete buffer and a discrete rail splitter. But now, we need certain quantity before we can produce such small PCB.

Low let's the discussion begin:

1. Constant Current Source(CCS):

The function of this CCS is for opamp class A biasing, to get a better sound.

according to Tangent. (Tangent's explaination of Class A biasing.)

Often, we use resistors or Jfet for this purpose, but we do have a lots of options according to Sijosae:

user posted image

2. Rail Splitter:

The function of a rail splitter is to make split a single rail voltage source to a +/- voltage source with a virtual ground(mid Point).

Normally we will just use a TLE2426 for this purpose. However, a TLE2426 is priced at around $3.50, and low current output capability; which i think inferior to discrete rail splitter.

Notes on Virtual Ground

user posted image

3. Discrete Buffers:

Discrete buffers are highly raved in head-fi, especially in PPA projects. Whether Discrete buffer boards that to replace IC buffer in PPA v1 or PPA V2 that incoporate discrete buffer on the board itself.

Glassmean's Discrete Buffer thread.

This buffer claimed to have better performance and better sound that IC buffers (BUF634, HA3-5002, or EL2001).

However, it seems like local DIYers seldom have chance to play with those toys (so far away and damn ex. price); so i suggested to digi01 why don't we start a discussion thread to find out what we want and we can make our own buffer too.

Here're some example of buffers by sijosae:

user posted image

Different types of buffer:

user posted image

Thanks.

Edited by huangyong

I think making CCS and rail splitter PCBs is very meaningful, because it's not just can be used for PPA, but other project as well.HA3-5002 is not very common, i suggest to make a converter for BUF634 to be used in PPA board.Next, diamond buffer, i think sijosae is more experienced in this, i will ask for his advice.