Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

Creative MuVo N200

user posted image

I have this small player for 2 days now. A pretty small wonder. So far I'm satisfied with this player in general. I still wish some changes though wink.gif I will cover it later.

I had a 'not responding player' problem before, but solved with firmware upgrade. So don't forget the firmware upgrade if you buy it.

As an MP3 or WMA player, this small player performs very well. Overall sound is good for such a small player. Some people said it sounds better than iPod, but I don't think so. It sounds about the same as iPod when playing MP3 (320 kbps, I didn't try WMA). But it offers more functions than iPod (Line In recording, FM radio, FM recording, & voice recording) happy.gif

The sound quite neutral, the bass a bit weak and less punchy. But it is compared to my Panasonic PCDP SL-CT810. For a player powered with 1xAAA battery, I have no complaint, just boost the bass a bit with it's custom equalizer (yes it has custome eq), then the bass sounds pretty decent (bigger but still less puchy).

The midrange and treble is fine, neutral and enjoyable, pretty good for such a tiny player yes.gif

The supplied earphone is average quality, weak bass, a bit dull treble, with a bit dominant midrange. But quite listenable and neutral. Anyway, I never use the supplied earphone anyway. I use this N200 with ATH-EW9.

I like the way they create the menu, it is simple and fast enough for a player with only a few buttons. No problem with it, I didn't even read the manual to operate all the functions thumbup1.gif

The Line In recording is amazing thumbup1.gif The quality is very good, with selectable MP3 bit rate: 96 kbps, 128 kbps, and 160 kbps (the highest).

The FM radio do the auto scan very fast, and the FM quality is good. A very nice feature (compare to iPod tongue.gif )

The FM recording is just average, not high quality, ADPCM format (.WAV) 16 kHz 4 bit, fixed.

The voice recording is my only complaint, ADPCM format (.WAV) 8 kHz 4 bit, fixed. Poor quality voice recording, sounds muffle, good enough to record personal note, not good enough to record lecture, when the lecturer is a few meters away from the recorder no.gif . Only sufficient for close distance recording.

I wish Creative will give a higher quality FM and voice recording, make it the same quality and format as the line in recording yes.gif

The battery seems last long enough, still full after a few hours listening, will try with 900 mAh Ni-MH later wink.gif

Compare with iPod shuffle, this player is more expensive (around SGD 300.- for the 1 Gb. I bought slightly less tongue.gif ), but offers more function, and.... DISPLAY ..... Yes 'display'... I can't imagine people can live without display... wacko.gif

With 1 Gb memory (around 994 Mb usable) I can store around 7-8 CD albums in 320 kbps MP3 quality happy.gif Good enough for me.

Highly Recommended mini player, for those looking for flash base (more durable than harddisk), very light and small audio player (like me tongue.gif ) And don't forget the AAA battery, that means you don't have to worry about the 'end of life' of those propietary Li-Ion Battery in a few years down the road wink.gif

Edited by bpribadi

For headphones, I found my Grado RS-1 is the best match for the MuVo N200. RS-1 gives the best bass and treble. I think it is because MP3 tends to cut the high frequency during compression, that's why bright headphone is a good match for it happy.gif

The supplied earphone is average quality, weak bass, a bit dull treble, with a bit dominant midrange. But quite listenable and neutral. Anyway, I never use the supplied earphone anyway. I use this N200 with ATH-EW9.

the ATH-EW9 cost more then the Muvo rite Bram tongue.gif

nice review thumbup1.gif

the ATH-EW9 cost more then the Muvo rite Bram tongue.gif

Not for the 512 Mb and 1 Gb version wink.gif The ATH-EW9 is around $ 200.- and the N200 1 Gb is around $ 300.-.

I also use Sony MDR-E888 with it, quite natural sounding, but lack of bass a bit.

I wonder if any of you know the sound characteristic of Beyerdynamic DTX 20 (is the bass average of more than average)

user posted image

I have tried all the portable ear buds products of Beyer some months ago. Avoid it like the plaque. It ain't the same quality of Beyer's full size cans and not even close to what other makers have to offer in the portable category.

Edited by Mackie