frodo

RA-1 for SR-325i?

Hi all

After reading all the posts about the SR-325i I got interested (curious?) and proceeded to get one -- frst time I've had a taste of the "Grado sound".

I'm quite pleased with the sound (that's all I can say -- inexperienced ears!) and am surprised how easily it can be driven even by portable sources. Nonetheless, I understand that it will sound even better if it is amped.

So should I get an RA-1 (and if so, the AC or battery operated one)? Or are there better amps locally available at the same price level?

Also, unless the improvement is fairly easily discernable I think I might be wasting my money on it as I don't have audiophile ears.

Btw, what is it about the RA-1 that cause people to make "RA-1 clones"? Is it because the RA-1 is a good design, or just that the original is over-priced?

My sources are mainly a Zen Extra, an Acoustic Solutions SP111 DAB tuner, and an old Denon DCD1300, but I hope to get something better "one day".

Your comments and advice will be most appreciated! Thanks.

may be getting a gilmore amp, heard from head-fi it pairs well with grados..

check it out at www.headamp.com, a good amp to invest in.

So should I get an RA-1 (and if so, the AC or battery operated one)? Or are there better amps locally available at the same price level?

Also, unless the improvement is fairly easily discernable I think I might be wasting my money on it as I don't have audiophile ears.

Btw, what is it about the RA-1 that cause people to make "RA-1 clones"? Is it because the RA-1 is a good design, or just that the original is over-priced?

The RA-1 has pretty good synergy with Grado cans, but I believe there are better amps around for that price, albeit not necessarily available locally.

You would have to decide for yourself whether the difference justifies the investment. Most people are not born with "audiophile ears" to begin with!

RA-1 clones arose because people realised that they were made from cheap and easy to find parts, but Grado charged a premium for them, so they decided to make their own. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

frodo,

The Gilmore Amp and Grado SR-325i is not a good combo. It will make your ears bleed unless you have a super laid back source. Dont get me wrong there's nothing wrong with the Gilmore amp - it's just the weong partner for Grado.

A better alternative is the Headroom amps or stick with the Grado RA-1 (the battery operated low gain version is quite suited). Give it a listen at music by design - and most importantly trust your own ears.

Bring your own music as well.

Do you have a decent source? (ie priced in the same cat as the would be amp or cans). If so go ahead and bring it down to Music By Design. They are good people.

Many thanks for all your informative replies. I'll bear them in mind and do more "homework" before deciding whether to commit the dollars -- the RA-1 is not exactly cheap. Maybe I should think about the clone instead.

What about the PA2V2 that's being mentioned lately? Would that be OK for the SR-325i? I also have the ER-4S which it seems to be suitable for. And a less substantial investment! Or the CMoy2?

Would any of these (PA2V2, CMoy2) be suitable for the DT880 too?

Thanks