Sign in to follow this  
kmlee

Earphone recommendations

Hi to all

Many thanks for all the discussions about earphones. Happened when I busted the right can on my new Wewa WMP6606 256MB player. BTW it's only $79 from SAFE - It's pretty decent for the $.

Anyway, I decided to check out some replacements - a friend's Sennheiser MX500, and from Jade Gift shop, the Panasonic HJE50 and an MX400.

I found it very hard to believe, but using the remaining good earphone, of my Wewa, I would say that this (remaining) earphone would beat all the above! (of course one ear lah) The bass extension is quite something! I roughly compared them to my ATH911 headphones and - as they say, got fight!

Anyway, since the uncle at Jade was so nice, I decided to buy the AKG K14P for $30. IMO I'd say it sounds better than the MX500 - but all lose out to the Wewa. The local agent doesn't stock spare parts, so I bought another MP3 player - gave it to the kids.

Amazingly this earphone has exactly the same build as the MX500 - port holes, etc etc.

So, for $79-$89 you get a very decent pair of cans AND an MP3 player thrown in.

Well, my 2cts worth - hope it helps some of you out there.

Cheers!

I believe the price is for a Wewa WMP6606 256MB mp3 player which comes with a set of earphones he feels is excellent.

But I do hope you are not mixing up bass extension and bloated bass so typical on earphones that come with mp3 players nowadays.

Edited by Absolute0

Hi to all

Yes, sorry for the mixup - it's earphones on the Wewa.

I'm aware of the differences between bloat and extension. But with my aging hearing...

When I modded the arm on my Rega 2 with Origin Live (that's right - a record player) AND cleaned my vinyl discs with Disc Doctor fluid, the bass extension and midrange was quite remarkable - verifying the experience of others. That was a good lesson on what bass extension is really like.

Cheers!

Well don't get me wrong, I wasn't doubting your hearing abilities. wink.gif I was just a little skeptical about the performance of earbuds that come with mp3 players, and thought many would be less critical when it comes to portable listening or because of lack of experience with higher end cans and the bass extension they are capable of.

Anyway we all hear differently (at least to some extent) and have different preferences/perceptions of what good sound is, so I would rather trust my own ears than seek to verify the experience of others and then convince myself that's what I want. Of course it's still always good to have some reference of what is that elusive "good sound" we are all pursuing, and learn from one another. All IMHO and YMMV of course. laugh.gif