Sign in to follow this  
ahtiu

question regarding encoding format: mp3, ogg..etc

Hi,

Would like to know which is the best encoding comparing the various formats, mp3, ogg, aac..etc that will give the best results.

When I use the shareware program "FreeRIP" to rip from my CDs, I notice there are a few modes that I could select; shld I choose VBR,ABR , CBR

Also, is it that I shld choose the highest bitrate to get the best results for either mp3 or ogg ?

thanx... hv went there after u advise, but found the info overwhelming..some of them quite "chim" to understand too..

will continue reading, and also appreciate any personnel recommendation from forummers here, thanx.

Me using iriver H320 & would like to know the best rips that gives better sound.

thank u

I am also using EAC/Lame combination. For this combination, I would recommend the alt-preset standard which rips to mp3 format at approx 192 kbps. Your mileage may vary. What I suggest is ripping songs which you hear, preferably from several genres. Rip each song at 128, 192, 320 and then take a listen to them. Decide where the best compromise with regards to quality and size lies.

Also, is it that I shld choose the highest bitrate to get the best results for either mp3 or ogg ?

Yes, the highest bitrate would correspondingly give you highest quality but the differences may not be audible all the time to justify the increase in file size. So like RonTheMan says, you have to find a compromise.

I also second him on the EAC/Lame combination, I used to encode with "alt-preset extreme" with that, but now I am just too lazy so I usually rely on iTunes to do all the encoding at 320kbps CBR AAC or Apple Lossless. rolleyes.gif

think Freerip is not bad too, due to its free and easier to use and it also uses LAME for mp3 encoding.

any users of Freerip to tell me is there a way to specifc the "alt preset switch" command line as what we did in EAC ?