Sign in to follow this  
RonTheMan

Need help in getting parts

I need to buy some 1/4 or 1/8 watt 1% metal film resistor. I am a novice at this, so please be gentle. biggrin.gif Can I get them at SLT and how much approx is one piece?

Hamilton Components (1%resistors)

#03-49 Sim Lim Tower

abt $0.20 each for 1/4W

heady, u got for 20 cent per piece? what brand of resistor is that?

i got generic 1% resistor for 10cent only le.. yup.. i bought in SLT as well..

heady, u got for 20 cent per piece? what brand of resistor is that?

i got generic 1% resistor for 10cent only le.. yup.. i bought in SLT as well..

sometimes it is 10 cents but sometimes 20cents, I think it depends on the value. I did not ask what brand it is but it has bright nice blue colour. I buy from Hamilton because when I started last year, the lady didn't laugh at my stupid questions. laugh.gif

I have already got the parts. Thank, guys! Also got some DIP for mounting of the AD type of op amp. Already spoilt one. Too much solder. First time doing this. Fortunately have not solder the op amp. Problem is that these things are so small and my hands like legs (literally translate from hokkien).

Good news is that I completed 2 nos of Ipod mini line out cable. 1 using a microphone cable and the other using a spare headphone cable.

I have already got the parts. Thank, guys! Also got some DIP for mounting of the AD type of op amp. Already spoilt one. Too much solder. First time doing this. Fortunately have not solder the op amp. Problem is that these things are so small and my hands like legs (literally translate from hokkien).

Good news is that I completed 2 nos of Ipod mini line out cable. 1 using a microphone cable and the other using a spare headphone cable.

Hi Ron, practice makes perfect. Even for me, I do delicate things with my hands in my work but still need to practice to be able to solder well. Also with my age, can't see so well. wacko.gif

heady, thanks for the encouragement. Have another question, hope some of you guys might help. Bought the resistors to built a custom headphone cable. To conceal the resistors, after the solder job, I intend to use those sleeve which will contract after you run a flame over them. Will the fire damage the resistor? Will this method be secure enough?

Ron, use a hair drier to shrink the tubing, it's safer.

i would advise against a hair dryer unless you have a lot of time on your hands, they can lack a lot of power. i have a $10usd heat gun i bought down under that shrinks up instantly.

secondly, i woulndt heatshrink over the resistors, you may have problems and want to test them or be able to see what value they are in the future.

heady, thanks for the encouragement. Have another question, hope some of you guys might help. Bought the resistors to built a custom headphone cable. To conceal the resistors, after the solder job, I intend to use those sleeve which will contract after you run a flame over them. Will the fire damage the resistor? Will this method be secure enough?

You don't run the flame over them. You move the cable to and fro about 1cm - 2cm above the flame.. For cigar lighters/ pocket torches, increase the distance about 2cm - 3cm.

You can also use the oven stove.. Place the heatshrink portion about 10cm above the flames.

i would advise against a hair dryer unless you have a lot of time on your hands, they can lack a lot of power. i have a $10usd heat gun i bought down under that shrinks up instantly.

secondly, i woulndt heatshrink over the resistors, you may have problems and want to test them or be able to see what value they are in the future.

skyscraper, my wife's hairdrier has an opening for the heated air about 1 and 1/4 inch, which is about the same size as some heat guns. And the hot air coming out is too hot for the hand. So maybe we are talking about different type of hairdriers.

Anyway, I don't want to get over equiped... more money for other goodies. biggrin.gif

thats why i said "they can" wink.gif one i tried was more then enuff, the other ones shrunk but took ages to do it, the cheap heat gun shrinks down in an instant, plus its great for stripping paint and veneer wink.gif