Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Tapco-Mackie S-5 active studio monitors

I have the privilege to audition a pair of Tapco-Mackie S-5 active studio monitors when I was at Anything Audio in Parklane shopping centre. Being quite accustomed to the looks and sound of pro monitors (since I own a pair of Dynaudio Acoustics in my sound system), the S-5 caught my attention because of its aesthetics (usually boring and black with pro gears) and the price tag of S$599!

For those who are uninitiated with pro speakers, they normally cost in the thousand handle and I personally have not heard nor seen one price in the sub S$1000 region.

After chit-chatting with the staff there, I learnt Tapco range of monitors are not their main line and brought in a pair of S-5 and its bigger brother S-8 to test the market.

First the aesthetics, beautifully finished with rounded edges, heavy and most important of all, it offers unbalanced RCA input aside from the usual balanced XLR and TSR input. This means a consumer could simply hook up his cdp direct to the monitors with his existing and favourite RCA interconnects without much hassle or additional cost in purchasing XLR interconnects.

As the monitors are in out-of-the-box condition, it's not run in. My concentration veered after merely 10 mins of audition as I found the high frequency rather compressed and more apparently so when fed with female vocals. I proceeded to check the rear panels and discovered the HF filter selectors were set to -2db from a selection of -2b, normal and +2db. The LF filters selectors were set to normal or "0", with facility to up the ante to +2db and +4db.

I continued with the audition at these settings and it took me another 15mins to veer of in concentration, but this time for a good cause as I was actually pondering if I should buy it!!! Instead of firing up my pure class A Krell KSA-150 power amp 1-2 hour ahead of each session, even for less critical listening (eg. while reading papers, magazines), the S-5 could very well satisfy my senses with good quality music up and running. With 60W of power feeding separately to each tweeter and woofer, be assured that the performance would not sound dull nor puny.

I already sense this pair of monitors will bode well with novices who wish to build their first speaker systems and already own cdps with variable output eg. Marantz, as it facilitates volume adjustment via the Marantz remote control. Those who own full-fledged speakers systems and wish to bypass the power amp and hook up a pair of active monitors to the pre-amp (as in my cas) may also do so with the S-5. It has input level potentiometers at the rear for gain adjustment, simply crank up the volume of a pre-amp to maximum and adjust the input level of the speakers to a level slightly higher than each user's hearing threshold. After which, use the pre-amp volume pot to adjust the sound level as desired during music playback.

Now the sound, very briefly, it sounded really big! Highs are never harsh nor too prominent and in fact, I find it has a rather flat response in this region. Those who loves the shrill of violin strings and brashness from trumpet blow (these are true sonic traits in real life and not deemed a weakness) may find the monitors a tad less satisfying but I feel the larger circle of consumers will appreciate the smooth highs albeit slightly less extended. Although the speakers are specified to roll off around 65Hz, its rear port and real life performance is far more satisfying. Those into hip-hop and dance music and own small rooms wouldn't complain of it sounding bass shy. In fact, I had to double check the LF filters were not set to boost. However, if you are looking at lower bass performance eg. double bass, you would have found the S-5's Archilles heels. Stereo separation is good and as with pro monitors, colouration is minimal (if any), clarity and details are excellent. Being nearfield monitors, the S-5 is not meant to be used in large rooms (if U stay in one, look elsewhere). In a setup where the listener is about 2m of less away from the speakers, he/she should really consider the S-5.

One final bit, it's made in China under license by Tapco-Mackie but what the heck, the world will soon be pervaded with products MIC if not already. What matter is quality, design and performance. As yet, I'm still pondering if I should grab it before publishing this thread. I would have commited insider-trading if it's done in the financial sector. tongue.gif

user posted image

Official site with specs, pictures and reviews

http://www.tapcogear.com/products/s5/

i found, when i was shopping for near field monitors that the tapco's were the worst performing of the bunch, on par with the alesis m1 actives.

the bass was boomy and flabby with the mid and high range just being shadowed and slow. to my ears there was way too much down low without control, and the rest was just ignored overall they would be an ok buy for a general active speaker, but for the money you simply can not go past the krk rp series.

i use the rp8's, but the rp5 and 6's are even better, sensational, see if you can try some out rp's if luther or sinamex have them. the rp5's are $500, you can't beat that for your money. whether you're using it as a general speaker or near field monitor.

now back to saving for my genelec's or adam's

edit: what are your usual monitors?

Edited by skyskraper

As it stands, I meant to introduce it to newbies who live on a shoe-string budget and lack direction nor impetus to look for a pair of speakers aside from the consumer makes. Now that I know U have knowledge in studio montiors that are suitable for home use, I look foward to your threads with much anticipation.

As a guide, these monitors should be economical, easy to set up and sound reasonable. My intent was never to suggest the Tapco is superior than other studio monitors. In addition, this forum caters mainly to cans users but we do hope to discuss on speakers system occasionally. Afterall this is the direction a cans user will eventually head for if interest prevails.

In light of the rather young crowd in this forum, I normally try to introduce products that are assessible to them and yet interesting. I wonder how much interest I would gather if I talk about my Dynaudio Acoustics PPM2 monitors (local agent didn't even exist then), which is predecessor of DA C2, which is similar/equivalent to Dynaudio Crafft in the consumer range. I think I'm already drawing blank looks from those who are reading this. LOL

Last but not least, just keep an open mind guys, U might come upon a gem. Btw, I once used a Mackie VLZ 1202 pro as pre-amp to much satisfaction........maybe I'm the weird one in this part of the world but not so in HK and Taiwan where many hobbists embrace pro and consumers products alike.

oh im not disagreeing with affordable active speakers, think what you are doing is cool, merely generating discussion. try check out the rp5's if you can. i think they represent much better value for money. most all "affordable" near fields are suitable for home use and represent much better value for money then "hi fi" systems at the same price.

I've already reached a state when I no longer audition speakers system components as I am satisfied with mine. However, you could publish the place to audition the RP5 for all others who are interested. We need to generate more interest along this direction.

Edited by Mackie

Luther Music -Level 2 Ginza plaza, west coast road.

Sinamex -Basement of parklane shopping centre, selegie road.

id advise calling them to make sure they have them in stock to test.

where did u check out the tapco's, sweelee?

Thanks for the tips dude.

I have the privilege to audition a pair of Tapco-Mackie S-5 active studio monitors when I was at Anything Audio in Parklane shopping centre

Luther Music relocated to basement of Peninsula Shopping Centre for a while already. That place has become the place for musician, especially guitars. Swee Lee is never an ideal place to demo speakers, and I ma not even sure they carry Tapco. They seem more keen on musical instruments, as their range of PA stuff gets lesser and lesser. I only know of few places where one can try out studio monitors - Sinamex (KRK), MPZ at Singapura Plaza (Yamaha) and Anything (Dynaudio Acc). Anyone knows heard of Adams-the one with ribbon tweeter?