Sign in to follow this  
lypk

My planned Audio Rig.. need comments please!

Haha.. i know i'm getting too "enthu" with lots of threads springing up these few days... sorry bout that innocent.gif

Anyway, I've kinda planned to list down a list of "toys" to buy (source, amp, cans) that fits into a budget i'm comfortable with... and after hours of hours of research... i've finally came to a conclusion (i hope).. but i need comments from you people on whether the particular config is suitable..

Source: Rotel 971 player

Amp: Gilmore Lite

Cans: Senn HD580, ATH-A900 (which i already own), Grado SR225

First of all, i aim to have a set of affordable cans that suits a wide range of music, which explains the need for a Senn, an A-T and a Grado.

The reason why i chose the Rotel 971 is because its considered a neutral sounding machine (which i suppose is needed due to the wide sound range of the cans), and of course, its really really bang-for-the-buck!

As for the Gilmore Lite, i heard that it is a neutral sounding amp too.. but i seriously don't whether it's better to get a neutral sounding amp or to a more "musical" sounding amp.. opinions please??

Oh, and i need recommendations on interconnects to get.. preferbly $100+-

Btw, i don't really have plans to upgrade to better sources/amps/cans cuz as of now, i can't justify myself spending so much on these stuff.. ya.. so erm.. more opinions and comments on my choices please!! A big thanks to you laugh.gif

Haha.. i don't really like the idea of having "earplugs" in the ears.. got enough of them in the firing range.. lol.. plus i need to clean them every now and then.. very troublesome.. i prefer headphones happy.gif

Beware of what you deem as neutral as most who heard neutrality prefers colouration. I suggest you pursue a sound which is accurate to your ears. Btw, not even all high-end consumer audio gears sound neutral, let alone lower priced products. Select your system based on personal sound preference and music genre. Treat each task as selecting your wife-to-be. There's no such thing as "neutral beauty" aint it so? happy.gif

In my limited experience with the above gears, pairing a Rotel 971 cdp with Gilmore Lite might generate a rather clinical sound. Don't get me wrong, it's not a negative factor nor weakness, just make sure if it's the sound your prefer.

Edited by Mackie

Ok.. back to more research.. lolz.. anyway, seriously, i would like my sound to be coloured, but if i go along the Marantz line, would the Grado be overly bright sounding? (With the Gilmore in between..)

It's so hard to come up with a suitable rig dry.gif .. haha.. anyway, thanks for your opinions laugh.gif

Just be systematic in your approach. I prefer to choose my system downstream ie. source, amp and cans in this order. If U are bent on anyone such as a Gilmore Lite, then u have to choose the others to compliment it. If the Glimore is ommissible, stick with Rotel and then select the amp of your choice accordingly. U can audition cdps with ease locally but headamps will be a challenge.

Edited by Mackie

The reason i chose the Gilmore Lite is because i heard that it suits the house sound of the three cans.. Hmm.. so let's say i took the amp out of the equation.. would a Grado still sound overly bright with a Marantz 6000 ose/7300? Either way.. back to more research... anyone willing to let me.. "EHERMM!!".. audition their Marantz player with my soon-to-get Grado? whistling.gif

Ok.. back to more research.. lolz.. anyway, seriously, i would like my sound to be coloured, but if i go along the Marantz line, would the Grado be overly bright sounding? (With the Gilmore in between..)

It's so hard to come up with a suitable rig dry.gif .. haha.. anyway, thanks for your opinions laugh.gif

I'm using a marantz cd5400, mghead tube amp and grado sr60. sounds fine to me. wink.gif

lypk: Firstly, I don't think Marantz cdps sound bright although certain models eg CD6000/6000OSE may have a slight tizz in the treble end, which is actually a boon to tube amps but problematic to solid-states. I'm also skeptical about your "I heard" for it seems to me you based your judgement on reviews or opinions and not aurally by audition. Going back to my previous analogy, do you want me or your friends or parents to choose a wife for you or do you prefer to see and choose if for yourself. Taste differs even between siblings, let alone friends. tongue.gif

ps. I have too many girls in my mind now, hence the analogy. lol.gif

Edited by Mackie

Lol... choosing a wife is a totally diff. matter.. many factors come into concern..

Anyway, i'm pretty sure we often choose what we buy based on what's been advertised/said as good/what's "right".. that goes the same for alot of things that we buy.. or do.. it just makes more sense, especially when it comes to something you're unfamiliar with.. but arguments aside..

I would like to try to audition the players over at KEC, but i really do wonder how do you all go about it.. i mean, won't the guys there know that you're auditioning their players without the intention of buying? I just feel that i will be in a very akward position, especially since i don't look exactly like i can afford or appreciate such stuff.. hmm.. btw, i don't see any Grados being displayed for audition from outside MBD.. are they all kept inside one of the rooms??

Anyway, i'm pretty sure we often choose what we buy based on what's been advertised/said as good/what's "right".. that goes the same for alot of things that we buy.. or do.. it just makes more sense, especially when it comes to something you're unfamiliar with.. but arguments aside..

It's true to a certain extent and only viable when hifi forums were not available, a case in point was in the 80s when internet wasn't even born. The reason why hifi forums are so popular as they help eveyone to skip the aforementioned traps and bumps.

Remember this when you walk in to any shop. You are the consumer and they the retailers. They need your dough while you need their product. If your are scared, you get chewed and missed your objective. Anyway, I dare say no hifi forums have discouraged anyone esp, newbies, to KEC as they have been very consistent in their service. I reckon you won't get the kinda crap service rampant in SLS (although there are some good ones).

Tell the guys at KEC your budget and models which U wish to audition. Bring along you phones and listen through each model's headphone out to sample and learn its sonic characteristics. Take notes if you have to and it's nothing to be ashamed about. I did my course in the very early days of audiophilia. They carry both Rotel and Marantz and maybe a few others too.

In any case, simply NO ONE goes to Adelphi and buy the first product they listened there. The retailers don't expect you to commit and if they learnt you just bought the first product you heard there, they will pray to the Almightly to produce more customers like you. tongue.gif

I hope your morale and confidence have enjoyed a boost. Now it's time for you to venture out on your own and tread where "angels" fear. (tongue-in-cheek)

Edited by Mackie

Hi. Just like to help a little. If you are looking for non-bright cdps and you like Marantz cdps, you have to be careful in your selection because certain Marantz cdps are bright sounding. Generally, Marantz cdps have a more forward vocal or mid presentation. Low-end Rotels are also quite clincal sounding as well. Below is my limited experience,

Bright sounding: CD6000/5000/4000, CD63/63SE (Not as bright as the CD6000 though)

Warm and smooth sounding: CD17MKIII (can be bright for filter 1), CD63KI, CD7300, CD72(can be too smooth and slow for some), CD85

Ok thanks laugh.gif

I have had the privilege to audition the Rotel RCD-971 recently, and have previously owned the Marantz 63KI. My preference is the Rotel. I found the Rotel more neutral and does not emphasize any frequency. The 63KI tended to emphasize the mids. I think it emphasizes the highs as well because I could never listen to the Marantz for a long time (I somehow get irritated). One thing though, I was comparing them using speakers with a metal dome tweeter.

End of the day, music preference is personal. So go out and audition! With headphones, it should be easier, as you can carry the headphones and the amp to the shop.

Just my 2-cents.

metal dome tweeter

Aha! Some things never changed. When Titanium tweeters were introduced in the 90s, the same characteristics surface with mid-range speakers.