Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

SOLD: New Xiang Sheng 708A tube amp

My friend and I ordered 2 sets of the abovementioned amps but he backed out prior to arrival. Nevertheless I have high regards of its sound and buiid quality as the 708A now drives my bedroom system. I was reluctant to sell the extra set and thought of using it as pre-amp in my second speakers system (Yes...it's also a pre-amp) but logic got the better of me since I prefer to share its sound with fellow forum members.

This set comes with captive power cord. For those not in the know, it means the power cord is hard-soldered from within. My recommended DIY job is to install an IEC female socket or simply snip off a section of the cord and install a Belden or any pro-audio make. The improvement is worth it. Oh, don't bother tube rolling as they sound just great.

Specifications:

·POWER OUTPUT:2×8W ( 8Ω)

·FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 18Hz--25KHz

·THD:< 1%(1kHz)

·INPUT SENSITIVITY: 500mV

·INPUT IMPEDANCE:100KΩ

·OUTPUT IMPEDANCE:4Ω 、8Ω

·S/N RATI:86dB

·TUBE:6N9P,6N8P,300B-98B×2

·DIMENSION(WIDTH×HEIGHT×DEEP): 220×170×355mm

·WEIGHT:11Kg

Reviews/comments:

http://www.xshn.com/newweb/newsadd/4/1/200...150115.asp?id=7

http://www.xshn.com/newweb/newsadd/6/14/20...2435.asp?id=241

user posted image

user posted image

All links and pictures courtesy of Hefei Xiang Sheng official site

Edited by Mackie

sorry,

in the subject and copy body you mentioned that the model of your unit is 708A, but i couldn't find any info on the 708A on the xiang sheng website. only the 708B is available. also, the pics you posted was that of 708B.

would you mind sharing what the difference is?

and how it affects the sound?

thanks

Edited by shochu

Is the 708A and the 708B (pictured in your post) the same?

Regards

CK

sorry forgot to ask in my post above,

how's the syngery with low impedance cans like grado & alessandro?

warmer, fuller, and less bright?

The 708A sports a captive power cord while the 708B has an IEC power socket installed. All else are the same.

As with all my advice to anyone who wishes to buy an audio equipment, an audition is a must. What's meat to you is skin to me...in short subjective. No issue with high and low impedance cans although I do agree the gain of this amp is slightly on the high side. Therefore, you won't be required to crank up the volume past 11 o'clock.

Edited by Mackie