Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Low Z cans

After owning few good high impedance headphones like HD600, AKG501 and DT880.. they are indeed very good CANS, but must with proper amplification.

Now, it's time to try out Low impedance headphones, currently have few in mind.. (RS-1/2 way too expensive so forget bout it)

What's in my mind: Audio Techinica W1000 vs Sony CD3000 vs Grado 325i

type of music I listen varies with mood, from folk music to punk rock.... jazz to opera.. anything under the sun.

I am fascinated by the wood chamber used in W1000, the look is just impressive... but i would like to try it before buying it. I went to Hung Bro today, but no demo set available for trying.. may be someone here has it... and willing to let me try out?

and for CD3000, the review is very good, but it's too bulky and looks dull.. anyone has it? can try?

and Grado 325i, i think will drop by MBD one day and try out..

and please contribute your opinion bout the 3 headphones. thanks.

I don't know about the other two phones but I've tried the 325i and totally loved it. Personally I prefered the 325i over the rs1. The rs1 sounded kinda airy to me? Found the 325i to be more cleaner? IMHO of course. Hoping to get it after Hari Raya. :S

U might wanna consider Beyer DT440, DT660 and DT860 as they are of low Z at 32ohms only. Furthermore you could audition them at Anything Audio. I know the latter is still available when I was there 2 weeks ago.

My favourite low impedence headphone is the ATH-AD2000. It has this airy and open sound and it feels like the music is coming from all over the place. It doesnt sound as dark as the HD650 or W1000. Everything sounds clear and detailed and the highs and bass sounds well extended(the impact may not be as strong as HD650).

I will take it over my W1000 anyday.

I can only imagine much more expensive options like ATH-L3000 or Qualia to sound better. Those are also low impedence and can sound good without amp.

Btw if you interested to try out W1000 can contact me.

Of those cans on your list, I only have the CD3000, so I'll just comment on that. Its soundstage is amazing, and it's pretty good for pop/rock, but I still prefer my HD650/Zu by a large margin for most other genres of music. However I have to concede that this is not an entirely fair comparison as my amp isn't optimised for low impedance cans, so they tend to hum with it. I also prefer the laid-back sound of the Senns, while I feel that the CD3K is a tad too bright for my taste. YMMV.

As the CD3K's are pending sale, I'm sorry I won't be able to loan it out.