crippledchicken

beginners headphone amp

hi, i'm new here and would like some advice on what would be a good budget priced headphone amp to build or, kit i could use with my adcom gfp 565 home preamp with three sets of outputs. i have a set of Koss UR40 headphones with 60 ohm impeadance and don't drive too well as is from the preamp. thanks for any help. headphone.gif

yup

see how much ur budget is then can work on from there

cmoy is simple amp

but I can suggest PA2v2 that's quite famous out there. and yes, you can DIY that easily smile.gif

btw ever thought of modifying your adcom gfa 565?? you could ask mr ts lim to look into this and modify/improve the headphone out.... that pre-amp costed probably 1.5k in 1988? or 1990

if you've stripped the amp like i had done b4.. the parts inside are.. quite superior..

except if your headphone's too high sensitivity there's a slight hiss sound.. but you've got the treble/bass/mid knobs, you could try switching on the filters and all..

hi and thanks for thje replys. i have thought of modifiying the adcom preamp headphone section as i have pretty well upgraded everything else in the unit including replacing silicon rects. with schottys, increases ps capacitance, replaced line level op amps with opa627bps. i've got some lt1010, and buf634t buffers as well as numerous other op amps, i might be able to implement some how. i think i will check things futher as i do have the service manual. all advice welcome, and thanks abunch! headphone.gif crippledchicken

hi crippledchicken,

have you tried putting a contant current diode across the Vout and V- of the OPA627? It's one of the method documented in Tangent Audio about biasing the amp into class A. I'd performed that mod to good effect. It's about 3 plus per piece at Farnell.