ablaze

PC-based remote control

thought I'd share some of my experiences to using a HAPC (home-audio PC) to maximise your headphone enjoyment.

ok, what you need: a Hauppauge TV card with a remote control (I use a Hauppauge WinTV Stereo)

what people don't realise is that the included infra-red remote control serves much more than it was originally intended for (ie. to control the TV program when its running)

what you need:

hauppauge ir-remote drivers from the Hauppauge site

and a freeware program to configure the irremote.ini file (located in your windows directory)

a bunch of "helper" programs

basically, what the remote does is that you can use it to map any of the 20 odd buttons on the remote to input a keyboard shortcut or run a program. the possibilities are endless. For eg. you can configure one of the buttons to input a "spacebar" command, allowing you to pause a movie you're watching with windows media player for eg. , or with a program like this http://www.globalaudiocontrol.cjb.net/ you can use it to adjust the volume control, mute the sound, control winamp's forward, back, play/pause buttons etc. Other ideas include configuring one of the remote control buttons to open foobar2K at the touch of a button, and play your favourite lossless music files, (map the keyboard shortcuts to the shortcuts in foobar and )skip to the track you want, adjust the volume to the right volume, and then "blank" the screen when you want to listen to some music in the dark for eg. wink.gif (map one of the buttons to 'open program': in this case, the blank-screen screensaver) basically, what you can do with the remote is anything you can bother to configure the remote to do....all in the comfort of your bed/chair a few metres away from the PC for eg. biggrin.gif

I've attached the file below to configure the remote control .ini file with an easier interface. You have to save the .jpg file attached (it'll probably appear as a red 'X" since its not actually a pic) then rename the file to .exe and just open it to run. don't worry I've scanned the file for viruses wink.gif

post-2-1055711852.jpg

You just did that intentionally to piss us mac users didn't you! tongue.gif Have to go over to the PC just to view that photo attachment.

I love the way you say lossless music files.

For mac users who already have a bluetooth mobile phone & enabled mac/ibook/powerbook the Clicker freeware enables you to control iTunes remotely using the phone albeit with less flexibility. Play, pause & volume. iTunes can be assigned to stop playing should you leave the room & out of the range of the BT phone & reactivates when you return, proximity sensor. iDVD, powerpoint & Keynote programs can also be controlled similarly.

hehe. sorry I don't know sh*t about Macs if not I'd be happy to point out how a similar remote could be configured. whats iTunes btw? the mac music player?

edit: that photo attachment is not a photo at all! its an .exe file renamed to .jpg cos I can't attach exe files happy.gif

Yes, iTunes is the default audio player on Macs.

Tip: Save as .exe straight away when you right click the 'x', because, if you save as .jpg it won't work.