Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidcsk2112

Recommend Low/Mid-Priced Headphone

Guest davidcsk2112

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an Audio-Technica A-series headphone, but I'm deciding between the A500, A700, and A900. Any recommendations?

I listen to mainly choral, (classical) jazz, and classical music, ripped at 320kbps and played straight from my iPod (4G, 20GB).

I'm open to other brands of closed-cup headphones below $300. Ideally, they should have good sound insulation and thus should be circumaural instead of active noise cancellation (which eats up batteries). The BOSE Triport but it is horribly flimsy. Most Grados are open-cup, I think. Not sure about Senns and Koss.

Edited by davidcsk2112

1.) Must be CLOSED

2.) <$300

3.) GOOD NOISE ISOLATION

4.) CIRCUMAURAL

5.) PLAYED FROM IPOD

AFAIK, the A900 is pretty hot, quite alot of ppl are going for them. Sounds wonderful with classical as well, so are the DT770 consumer version.

AKG271s. One of the best closed phone.

Excelent isolation, leak out nothing too. You can swap to zu cable like hd6xxx to upgrade.

They are quite ok straight from ipod, but will be better if amped. It's most strong point is its mid. Not bad in vocal.

Sony MDR-7506 (or MDR-V6) or Beyerdynamic DT-250.

Beyer DT150. Good build good isolation and good sound quality One of the few closed HPs that don't have an obvious 'tunnel' effect. It's around $3xx. happy.gif

However, it got a high Nominal Impedance. So you might need an amp for it. mellow.gif

I just picked up the ATH-A900LT for less than 300 shipped from PriceJapan.com. They are very good. They have verything I love about my ATH-W1000 with more base and low-mid frequencies.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. That is $300 US dollars.

Still enjoying the music...