Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidcsk2112

Recommend amp for AKG K501

Guest davidcsk2112

Hi, I'm intending to get the AKG K501s (which would suit my classical/choral/jazz music collection very well), but I noticed that they have a high impedance of 120 ohms.

Does anyone have any cheap amps (around $150? the less the better, of course) to recommend that will be sufficient to drive these phones? Will consider second-hand ones.

Edit: Will consider amps up to $250.

Edited by davidcsk2112

501s are a pain to drive and require a really muscular amp to make a difference.

The cheapest amp that I have tried with these cans is the Original Master. At that price, I really have no cause for complaint.

Without sufficient power, the bass never really shows itself thru the 501.

agreed with tbln! even with 120ohm,it should be easier to drive compared to my 250ohm beyer cans, instead it's the opposite.I have the opportunity to try on the pro-amp at AA for both K501 and other 250ohm beyer, the difference is obvious.Numbers are not everything.

IMO its not a problem of "amp power". The signature of the cans are by nature, bass light. In other words, if you want more bass, u need something bass heavy. If bass is what you find is lacking, then probably the RA-1 would be a good try, and if it sounds like what you want, and you can find someone who can DIY a clone for you, then....

OTOH, I have a feeling that if bass is not of utmost importance to you, they might actually pair well with tube amps (Note here I'm making guesswork based on what I've remembered on the signature of K501, which is IMO lightweight, and having a upper mids suckout, hence only take it as a suggestion for you to try out, don't take it as it is). If that's the case you may want to try China tube amps (at this price range), probably the Little Dot II, though obtaining one might be a bit of a hassle. Seriously though at this price range, for real value for money, you don't have many choices.

Guest davidcsk2112

Having read the replies, I think I'd better audition them quite thoroughly before I buy to see if the bass is that lacking. Might fork out a bit more for a better amp if it's that bad.

Does anyone know where I can get to test the K501s? ... I hear that Asia Sound at Adelphi (which sells the K501s) doesn't allow demos.

Edited by davidcsk2112

I have the opportunity to try on the pro-amp at AA for both K501 and other 250ohm beyer, the difference is obvious.

Does anyone know where I can get to test the K501s? ... I hear that Asia Sound at Adelphi (which sells the K501s) doesn't allow demos.

AA denotes Anything Audio. It's located on 4th floor, Parklane Shopping Mall.

Edited by Mackie

Having read the replies, I think I'd better audition them quite thoroughly before I buy to see if the bass is that lacking. Might fork out a bit more for a better amp if it's that bad.

Strange, they do allow auditions when I went there to buy my AKG271S 2 years back. Was looking for K501 but their particular unit sounded strange with their Cyrus amps thus settled for the 271 instead. I later bought the K501 used from this forum.

One "problem" with the 501 is that it is inherently bass light. I am not much of a bass freak so I didn't mind much. So far I've tried it successfully with a DIY META42 headamp as well as a tubed XiangSheng 708B with good results.

Regards

CK

Hi David,

Around $150 maybe you can get a used Creek? It used to be a good match with 501, you can check HeadFi.

You would need to have good amp and source to pair with 501 or any high-end phone, lest

you may end up thinking that the phone is not good. Maybe you would want to up your budget to get a better amp?

I have hearnt the 501 with my diva amp during the SGhp meet at AA months back, although only for 5 mins, I was quite impressed. However, personally I'm looking forward to having a akg701. happy.gif

Guest davidcsk2112
You would need to have good amp and source to pair with 501 or any high-end phone, lest you may end up thinking that the phone is not good. Maybe you would want to up your budget to get a better amp?

I'm intending to use my iPod as a source, using 320kbps AACs. Will consider upping my budget to about $200 - $250 for a better amp. (There goes my upcoming music CDs splurge.)

Is there any place that stocks a wide range of amps which I can audition?

Just to let you know that AKG 501 is a bass deficient headphones. No matter what you do, it will still be anemic compared to other cans. If you want bass to appear magically, it is not going to happen. Find a headphone that you like best tonally before getting an amp. If you really like the 501 and do not care too much about bass, then by all means get an amp based on the above recommendations.

PS: I had a AKG 501 before.

You can try AT-HA20 @Stereo Electronics.

I bought mine few weeks ago and is happy using it with my HD-650. Comparing to PA2V2 which is my first entry amp, AT-HA20 is more powerful and better for HD-650.

Regards

You would need to have good amp and source to pair with 501 or any high-end phone, lest you may end up thinking that the phone is not good.  Maybe you would want to up your budget to get a better amp?

I'm intending to use my iPod as a source, using 320kbps AACs. Will consider upping my budget to about $200 - $250 for a better amp. (There goes my upcoming music CDs splurge.)

Is there any place that stocks a wide range of amps which I can audition?

wide range...can try Adelphi.

sugden headmaster and rkv at Electrades

Graham Slee Solo at Soundscape

Creek at Alpha audio

Caiyin at Sound Precision

but all out of your budget...

Another way is to get some forumers to build one for you. Try the DIY forum here, they are all there.

I reckon you had better audition the K501 before making a decision, lest you miss out on better options. I wouldn't even consider K501 to be suitable for Jazz.....maybe New Age, aside from its forte in Classical genre.

Guest davidcsk2112
I reckon you had better audition the K501 before making a decision, lest you miss out on better options. I wouldn't even consider K501 to be suitable for Jazz.....maybe New Age, aside from its forte in Classical genre.

Yup, I'm planning to do that. Making a comparison between ATH-A900, DT880, and AKG K501... I'm still unable to make a decision because the shop I'm planning to audition them at is currently out of ATH-A900s.