Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Which headphone amp for Grado/Alessandro?

Looking for recommendations and advice on which headphone amp is suitable for my Alessandro MS1. Just got them last week and they should finish their burning in process soon. tongue.gif

Been trying them on and off, with my Shellbrook's Mini Head amp these few days and I must say they do sound great, as compared to my portable EC7 earbuds. The bass is deep and in abundance. While retaining the mids and highs that I have been getting from the ATs, I can really feel the lows with these babies. party.gif

Since the Mini Head is basically a portable amp, being running on a single 9V at a time, I am looking into the possibility of acquiring another head amp. Something that is transportable and most importantly feeds off AC power from our wall socket. happy.gif

Can someone please give me some recommendations or advice on this? I have been reading up on the DIY amps like PPAs and PIMETAs. Are these any good with low impedence phones like the Grados? Also, are solid state or tubes better? I have a budget of only about $200... sleep.gif

Thanks for the web link hansel_ng. But I know nuts about electronics and electricals thus DIY is out for me, unless there is an expert who can help me do one up? tongue.gif

i pair my MS2i with headsave classic (dual OPA627) and it is a heaven matched party.gif

Where can I find the specs and price for the headsave classic? happy.gif

Edwin, PPA os definitely good for low impedance headphones.

and for ZEN amp, you can get from digi01 from this forum.

Edwin, PPA os definitely good for low impedance headphones.

and for ZEN amp, you can get from digi01 from this forum.

Thanks nakedtoes and huangyong for the info on Zen and PPA. happy.gif

huangyong more on PPA, is there somewhere in Singapore that I can get it done up for me for a fee? I am actually more inclined towards the PPA esp. after reading so much good things about it. party.gif

lol i've got a half done up PPA that huangyong did, wanted to make a PPA too back then.. but decided to quit headfi

its a pretty decent amp. put in good parts, and tada, good performance.

Tried a few amps (cmoy, meta42, PPA)on the Grado 125 and more recently 325i. imho, the zen amp is really designed for the grados. Only problem, you'll need to diy. I come from a person who dislike the grados initally and had regrets in purhcasing it, this mostly due to mismatched amps, like the cmoy(horrible, no current to drive), meta42.

Things got better with the PPA, very shiok. But when I finally tried it with the Zen, the Grados has become my favourite headdphones. Haven't touched the Beyer DT880 for a long time since.

I think you'll get better chance of someone helping you with the PPA, then the zen amp.

lol i've got a half done up PPA that huangyong did, wanted to make a PPA too back then.. but decided to quit headfi

its a pretty decent amp. put in good parts, and tada, good performance.

Hmm..that's a tempting proposal. happy.gif

neutralzz, like to check what other parts are missing from your PPA? How much more dough to put in before it can be used? tongue.gif

Tried a few amps (cmoy, meta42, PPA)on the Grado 125 and more recently 325i. imho, the zen amp is really designed for the grados. Only problem, you'll need to diy. I come from a person who dislike the grados initally and had regrets in purhcasing it, this mostly due to mismatched amps, like the cmoy(horrible, no current to drive), meta42.

Things got better with the PPA, very shiok. But when I finally tried it with the Zen, the Grados has become my favourite headdphones. Haven't touched the Beyer DT880 for a long time since.

I think you'll get better chance of someone helping you with the PPA, then the zen amp.

Hahaha... you are swinging me over to the Zen, jtfoo. Getting more undecided with every recommendations. wacko.gif

Maybe I would need to do some reading up on the Zen... laugh.gif

I got a high end PPAv2 on pending to sell once i got my tube amp up (dunno when ). It have great detail on MS-1.

Amp ulitilising Wima box cap, Elna cerafina and duorex cap. Alp blues pot, neutrik jack, gold plated RCA. OPA627s done on hammond casing

details here

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=3943

Edited by Kippei

Edwin, wanna join me on a quest to SOHA? going to koba in a moment time

Sounds like an attractive package you have there Kippei. How much you planning to ask for the PPAV2? tongue.gif

Pardon my ignorance, what's a SOHA?