Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

Need help to make a Zen headamp

After much reading up and researching, finally decided to get a Zen headamp to pair up with the MS1. tongue.gif

The problem now is, I would need to engage the help of a DIY expert to help me make one up. I have very limited experience in electrical stuff and not to mention I have never done any soldering of any kind. blush.gif (C'mon, I'm an IT guy happy.gif )

Was playing around with the idea of getting one from overseas but that seems unlikely with the high shipping costs and other factors.

So trying my luck here to see if there is anyone here who is willing to spare some time and effort to help me do one Zen up (will pay for your time and effort of course tongue.gif). I can source for the materials but would need someone to help me do the soldering, testing and tuning of the final product. Would also need help with the enclosure fittings too... tongue.gif

Can someone please take up my challenge? whistling.gif

i think digi01 would, hansel got from him.

Thanks for the directions, huangyong.

I had tried to PM him, but his mailbox is full. no.gif

Sent him an email, still waiting for his respond. In the mean time, think I try my luck here first. laugh.gif

add him on msn!! he's online most of the time, computer on 24/7, but only around during working hours

friendly guy. postage's well packed too

Thanks for the info neutralzz. Can you pass me his msn email thru pm?

if some1 put up the schematic, I can help you smile.gif

not trying to undercut whoever tho' smile.gif

I'm just trying to pass on the know-how

The details of the Zen can be found here:

Headwise project

Do let me know if you need more info. (I'm pretty good at searching for resources on the net tongue.gif )

digi01 workmanship is top notch..Good quality pcb, layout and beautiful casing.... unlike mine... I would highly recommend him for the service

If you do engage someone local to do for you, take note, good quality caps are critical,especially those along the signal path. For me, I used silmic for most of the elco caps. esp C4 & C5 from the schematic. And the DC blocking cap C2, at least try to use polypropylene caps. I used the solen becoz it's cheaper, but you could invest a little more here.

As for mosfet IRF610, try to get those from farnell, by International Rectifier. The ones I got from SLT are from fairchild, and they die easily. Don't know if I have bought fake ones then. In the end waste money and bought from farnell. I have some left overs that are matched, which I'm able to sell off if you're interested.

digi01 workmanship is top notch..Good quality pcb, layout and beautiful casing.... unlike mine... I would highly recommend him for the service

If you do engage someone local to do for you, take note, good quality caps are critical,especially those along the signal path. For me, I used silmic for most of the elco caps. esp C4 & C5 from the schematic. And the DC blocking cap C2, at least try to use polypropylene caps. I used the solen becoz it's cheaper, but you could invest a little more here.

As for mosfet IRF610, try to get those from farnell, by International Rectifier. The ones I got from SLT are from fairchild, and they die easily. Don't know if I have bought fake ones then. In the end waste money and bought from farnell. I have some left overs that are matched, which I'm able to sell off if you're interested.

Wow... Can someone please give me digi01 msn contacts??? w00t.gif

check pm smile.gif

you can request digi to put in top notch parts, easier for him to one of max out the diy job, so you dont have to re-work on it yourself.

Managed to catch hold of digi01. Now trying to firm up the specs for my Zen.

Thanks for all the help guys. happy.gif

Like to ask what are blackgate capacitors? Will they improve the Zen to justify their higher price? Do I need an ALPS or locking socket for the Zen also?

What other areas do I need to specify to digi01 for my amp? happy.gif

Edwin, if you need something good, request him to use parts from diyzone. diyzone has branch in china.

1. Step attenuattor, very cheap in china.

2. Do not use his own made power supply, request him to get from third party.

3. Blackgate is overkill, just get Elna Silmic couple with Solen will do.

Edwin, if you need something good, request him to use parts from diyzone. diyzone has branch in china.

1. Step attenuattor, very cheap in china.

2. Do not use his own made power supply, request him to get from third party.

3. Blackgate is overkill, just get Elna Silmic couple with Solen will do.

huangyong, does the blue velvet ALPS serve the same purpose as the step attenuator? Do I only choose either of them or can both at the same time? wacko.gif

blue velvet would still be inferior compared to properly done stepped attenuator

and you should choose only one at a time, why would you have two volume control at the same time? laugh.gif

unless you've planned to try each one at a time

IMO, get the stepped attenuator.

btw, do you know wat a stepped attenuator is?

Edited by squalle

blue velvet would still be inferior compared to properly done stepped attenuator

and you should choose only one at a time, why would you have two volume control at the same time? laugh.gif

unless you've planned to try each one at a time

IMO, get the stepped attenuator.

btw, do you know wat a stepped attenuator is?

hahaha... you got me there. tongue.gif

did some reading earlier on the internet. Just states that it's for changing the amplitude of the signal without distortion to the wave form. This sounds alien to me. laugh.gif

Edited by Edwin