Sign in to follow this  
wenjia

Beyerdynamics DT880 VS DT990, which one is better?

new too this brand, eyes on the S HD-650 for a long time, but this babe is not cheap. no.gif

then search the internet know this brand, but everyone is talking about the 880, and no much review or comments for 990 pro. wonder why? 880 is more high end than 990 pro?

and heard the version 2006 now has leather case? where can get the best price local? and is the ear pad also available in singapore? how much it will be?

Thanks

wenjia, dt 990pro as name implies, cater to the pro users like broadcast and studio, much like its sibling-DT 770Pro.If you have to know, 880 is more 'high-end' than 990Pro, but it is so hard to qualify, because taste differs.....best is to check out the headphones and qualify it by your ears.For beyer, visit parklane shop, they might still have HD650 to make comparison.Oh yes, even the new AKG K701--so you can have a battle of the flagship tongue.gif

Hi wenjia, I own both the 880 and 990. As elmo mentioned, higher end doesn't always mean good, especially in head-fi or hifi where it is dependent on personal taste.

IMHO, the 880 is more neutral across the board, and sounds more closed-up compared to the 990 due to its semi-open design. The 990 is more bassy, and sounds more open (wider soundstage) due to its open design. For me, when I listed to classical, jazz, or when I want to listen critically, I use the 880. When I listen to pop, rock or for gaming, I use the 990. Sometimes, I just use whichever, and they still sound great.

Note also that the headphone amp you use plays a part as well.

Search the forum for Mackie's review of the Beyer family. He gives a very in-depth view.

I think a distinction needs to be made regarding the 990pro and the 990 (06 model). The later is a complete re-design and not the same as the 990pro. In terms of pricing, its the 990pro, 880, then 990 being the most expensive.

I own the 990pro and the 990 is a much better can, clearer and more musical. The 880 is good, high in detail, but ultimately I found it not as entertaining as the 990s, YMMV.

Lets set the record straight lest some may be misled by the prefix "Pro" with Beyer cans. The difference between pro and consumer versions of DT770/880/990 is merely clamp pressure ie 3.5N (pro) vs 2.5N (consumer). Tigher pressure is favoured for pro usage (reason self explainatory) while consumer versions have less pressure for greater comfort. The consumer versions also sport raw steel frame whereas the pro in black steel.

Now that we have seen the new 2006 editions of DT770 (not available here as most still prefer 770 pro by consumers and pro users alike) DT880/990, confusion may arise. Let me do a summary below.

Old versions

1. DT880 (flagship)

2. DT770/880

New 2006 versions

1. DT990 (flagship)

2. DT770/880

My rankings in terms of sound neutrality

1. DT880 (old)

2. DT990 (new)

3. DT880 (new)

4. DT990 (old)

5. DT770 (old and new)

In terms of musicality

1. DT990 (new)

2. DT880 (new)

3. DT880 (old)

4. DT990 (old)

5. DT770 (new/old)

Except for DT770pro when tighter pressure is favoured for better isolation, consumer versions of DT880/990 are recommended for greater comfort.

According to AA, old DT880 is out of stock and no longer available. There's only one pair of DT990 pro for comparison with the new DT990 edition. DT770pro are abundant as there's a ready demand by studio professionals.

wenjia: Please have a look at the articles in our in-house review section.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=191

Edited by Mackie

Hey Mackie

I find it a bit curious that in Headfi, they only talk about the 880, not the 990, even the newer models. 3 questions arise :

1) How does the sound of the new 880 compare with the old 880?

2) Why does the 880 get more press than the 990(both new models)?

3) Do you consider, IMO, YMMV, that the 990 is the best all round can at the moment?

Hi cmk,

You might have missed my review of DT880 (2006 edition) where a comparison of the new and old were made.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4471

I believe DT990 is getting limited coverage because of availability. For example in HK, as in mid April, the new DT990 was not available then and I believe even now, since their headphone forum still shows no sign of coverage on this cans.

In my very, very, very personal opinion, as stipulated in my review of the new DT990, it surpasses all the past and present Beyer cans (except for DT150 as its analytical quality is unmatched). I even like it better than Senn HD650 and to a certain degree AKG K701 but that was before the price hike to S$599. At the moment, the fight between K701 and DT990 is a close one. However, listen carefully and you will hear the latter manages to present soundstaging width and depth really well, much like speakers. In addition, I hear greater presence and air (almost membrane like) surrounding each instrument.

Edited by Mackie