Sign in to follow this  
Apoplectic Gecko

ANNOY weekly!!!

"The greatest injustice in the world is to bring a child into this world, and not be able to offer it peace." -Nafisa Joseph, Miss India Universe 1997

Hi all! Welcome to ANNOY (Absolutely Neccessary Nonsense Offered to You) weekly, your truly whimsical half-fortnightly article that you should read only if your feeling of boredom is stronger than the feelings of masochistic "sorry-ness" people from Head-fi have for their and each others' wallets. I apologise for the rather sombre opening, but I hope to have your understanding as you read on further.

This post is not an excuse to make a rant, to spread twisted thoughts or even a mini-blog, but to create a topic that (hopefully) people will share and contribute their opinions,ideas or stories with each other. For this week, let's start with "How/why/when do you get into the world of headphones and audio equipment?" Kindly allow me to share my story...

Ever since I'm young, my family was a really dysfunctional one. A suitable metaphor would be a "pane of glass which is fragmented and cracked in evey possible place but strangely has not broken into pieces". My parents and sibling quarrelled daily for diverse reasons such as financial(Our first refrigerator was a mini-fridge salvaged from the dumping corner in our void deck), choice of their careers, studies and relationship problems. Even a simple innocent "hey what's for lunch?" will lead to a heated shouting match about another totally unrelated issue which will usually last until dinner or even supper time. Therefore, almost a decade ago, in a quest to save my sanity(no joke, my brother is currently seeing a psychiatrist), I decided to find ways to spend my energy and free time, anything that will get me away from my family, and to find an outlet to vent my frustrations. Some of the methods i tried were

~playing basketball (it's tiring to play for long hours)

~swimming (looked grotesquely wrinkled, bleached and sun-burnt after spending 5++ hours at the pool)

~reading (librarians are getting worried about this kid who treats the library as his home)

However, there are times which i wanted to just close my eyes and relax, and i found the solution when my primary school classmate lent me his $3.50 Made in China receiver which comes with its very own stock earbuds.(Wooopieee!!!) (My house did not have a radio at that time) Music at any moment I wanted!!! (Even though the soundstage was so bad that the whole band seems to be performing in my right eyeball.) Music is all I could hear and think, no more endless bickering. I listened to the receiver almost all the time i spent at home and turned the volume so loud that I have Tinnitus now ( I used to ask my friends "Is the Civil Defense siren on and how come it's on all the time?")

Fast forward 10 years and my love for enjoying music is still the same. I've learnt my lesson about taking care about my ears and keeping the volume low while listening to music.(Volume level 2/30 for the Creative MUvo MP3 player with Cresyn LMX-EP630 is sufficient for me.) biggrin.gif I'm still trying to help my family patch up so dun worry about it folks. So share with me and everyone "How/why/when do you get into the world of headphones and audio equipment?"

Thank you for your time in reading my post and I hope you wouldn't add me into your "List of Forum People to Ignore". tongue.gif Have fun and enjoy your music everyone! This is A.G your friendly ANNOY weekly writer signing off.

First off you seem to have done remarkably well considering your upbringing. Financial issues always tend to take a toll on relationships. However having money dosesnt necessarily solve it. You can start off by being nice to any of your siblings even when they are shouting at you. When was the last time you gave them somthing or praised them for anything - likewise for your parents. I cant council you because I'm not qualified but I think you'll agree that it's a step in the right direction. After several months of this you should be in everyone's good books. Then it may be time to hold several discussions with each family member as to how to be happy/contented at home. After about a year you might wanna hold a family meeting. It's going to be an uphill talk with lots of bumps and detours but in the long run should work. If you need help go seek help from a professional - for yourself at least.

As for headphones I got into them when I realised I was going to have a child and my days of playing music in the living room were numbered. Since my child is now 4 years old I've sorta gone back to speaker based systems.

My first true hi-fi headphones was a Beyer back in the late 80s or early 90s

Edited by Rameish

As for headphones I got into them when I realised I was going to have a child and my days of playing music in the living room were numbered. Since my child is now 4 years old I've sorta gone back to speaker based systems.

Ha ha! So very true, that's also why I got started listening to headphone. But my son is now 14 and I still can't listen to my hifi cos he will want to put in his Black Eye Peas instead of my music.

Now I have to listen on my headphones and be mocked by the family for being anti-social. lol.gif