Sign in to follow this  
trashley

getting an IEM

hi, i'm thinking of getting a IEM to go along with a new ipod video. which wld u recommend, budget is $119 and below. shortlisted a few after surfing around. plz update me if u have a better option. any help rendered is greatly appreciated. thanks.

* Cresyn LMX-E630

* Creative EP-630

* Audio Technica CK7

Edited by trashley

I have the Creative EP-630, and my friend has the Cresyn E-630. The E-630 sounds horrible in my opinion, with sounds of all ranges being very muddy.

My EP-630 is better. Bass might be a bit overwhelming if the earbuds you use are too big for your ears. The key lies in finding the right fit, but this applies to most IEMs.

I don't have the CK7, but it will be the next IEM I will buy. I have heard alot of good things about it, however it depends on what kind of sound you prefer. The CK7 is supposed to produce a cold clinical sound, which is what I prefer since I like to be able to hear each and every instrument distinctly. If you like the warm Grado-type or Burr-Brown type sound the CK7 might not be for you.

CK7 may or may not have fit problems though. On my ears, they cannot be worn the normal way, won't even fit, and even though I usually wear M size sleeves on normal semi-canals, I have to wear the L size sleeves to fit the CK7 properly on my ears.

The CK7 doesn't lack bass IMO, its bass is clean and punchy, but it doesn't extend very low. To bassheads and the many peeps whom I presume only briefly tried the CK7, the CK7 will sound lean and thin (most likely due to fit). Coming from the EP630 though, you'll definitely be questioning the severe loss of bass quantity on the CK7, the same way I questioned the EP630's overwhelming bass even without EQ.

I suppose the CK7 should be the best in the lot (given its price).

Found this article by Zephyron on the CK7. (I think it is our fellow forumer! Wow.biggrin.gif )

iAudiophile

Edited by aaron-xp

Yah, that was by me *lol*

I'd write a review on the E4 as well, but now kena slogged by schoolwork.

Argh! Hating HTML >.>;

*creates webpages with headphone icons*

Anyways, out of the 3 above, the CK7 is the nicest to me lahz, but not everyone's taste is the same, this we have to consider. Depending on the sound signature and genres of music the user wants, they all deliver differently. For one thing, the EP630 can rock your socks with Rock and Metal songs w00t.gif

Edited by Zephyron

if you are using it with the ipod video, you can get the creative ep630. i used this combo once, and with the EQ off, the bassy ep630 sounds just right with the ipod video. very good synergy between the ipod video and ep630. i wouldn't recommend the cresyn e630. the cresyn has good midrange, but the top and bottom sounds congested.

I forgot to add something very important!

Cresyn's earbuds are HORRIBLE out of the box! What happens is that the Cresyn phones are shaped like this:

O=

You slip the earbud over the = part. The O part is where the driver is, presumably. What happens is that due to the size of the O part, the earbud does not go entirely into your ear, as the O part is so big that it prevents proper entry into your ear. The result is horrible sound isolation.

My friend has to DIY his own earbuds, using a combination of earplugs he bought from Guardian and Audio-Technica CK7 earbuds.

Cresyn LMX E630 has gd clarity but quite a bad fit due to the ball drivers lol. (okok IEM but bad design)

Creative EP630 is very punchy(infact too bassy) and it worths the money for a budget IEM. this IEM will fit u if u love bassy stuffs, i mean realli "filling" bass.

from my experience, when playing rock and metal songs, ep630 messes up easily unlike ck7.(guess its due to the overwhelming bass, correct mi if im wrong)

ATH-CK7(my current love) is so far the best IEM i ever tried which its within the budget of mine lol.

great balance of every single detail i seek for.

2 THUMBS UP for CK7.

Edited by ahdui

trashley do keep ahdui and my feedback on the Cresyn in mind: The ball really gets in the way of proper sound isolation. You will need a pair of earplugs like the Shure tri-flange to get good isolation. With the standard ear-plugs, you will have trouble enjoying the music in the MRT and the like.

No problem, however do remember that you can always head down to Stereo Electronics to audition these two phones. I think they have both the Cresyn and Creative. biggrin.gif