Sign in to follow this  
dle4e_2005

Help here......

Hmmm flash-based. Best basic advice I can give you is to avoid S1 mp3 players.

What's a S1 mp3 player? It's the ubiquitous cheapo mp3 player you come across commonly in Sim Lim Square. They come in many different shapes, colours, brands, but they all come from a chinese OEM. You can find more information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1_MP3_Player

Why avoid them? Well I bought one of them, before I joined knew about the audiophile community and contracted a case of upgraditis. Their SQ ain't bad, really, it's definitely competitive with iPods (no offence to the iPod crowd laugh.gif ), but they have a horrible signal to noise ratio. And I mean horrible. You can hear very obvious hissing in the background.

Codec support will probably be the next thing to go out for. Ogg Vorbis has arguably one of the best compression ratios out there, and since you are going with flash-based Ogg Vorbis can help with squeezing as much music as possible.

Other than that, I dunno what to add. Good brands include iRiver and iAudio of course. If you are one of the Apple crowd, the Shuffle ain't bad, it's SQ is supposed to beat the 4th Gen and below iPods and up to par with the 5th Gen.

Well, that's all I can think of. Hope it helps.

EDIT: BTW if you are choosing flash-based over HDD-based because of size reasons rather than pricing, may I recommend the iAudio 6. It's a flash-based mp3 sized player with a 4GB hard disk.

Edited by aegisofrime

LOL ... try asking people who are using the iAudio player itself now , Zeph is using one ... but most importantly ... see if all the stated equipments are in the list lor

iAudios are generally well regarded: Good SQ, Good Codec Support, Good Quality and Stylish as well. Hope you got yourself a good deal there!

Oh yeah, I went to the iAudio website to look at the U3. It looks good, the power output is good enough to drive alot of cans without an amp. However keep in mind that the battery is built-in. Since the player is not under warranty, replacing it will be a real hassle, and might be costly. How long has it been used? If it has been used sparingly, then the battery might last for a while more.

EDIT: The U3 has excellent codec support. Ogg and FLAC are very rarely found in non-rockbox players.

Edited by aegisofrime

The bass is very strong from the U3 by default because they have it on 'Rock' EQ by default and have the BBE settings set to 3 and the M3B settings set to 7.

Personally, I found the sound to that to be very fake, so I just turn off all the EQ and placed the BBE setting to 1.