Sign in to follow this  
heady

Changing headphones plug

My son's headphone's plug needed to be changed, as the young man always yank on the cable to pull them out. Here's a pic to show which colour is what when changing headphone plugs.

This headphone is Panasonic. I don't know if there is a standard colour for headphones.

BTW - can't use a DMM to check which is which as the wires are insulated by enamel and I refuse to waste any of the cable by cutting the cable. tongue.gif

user posted image

This is before I changed the plug.

user posted image

After dissecting the plug to expose the points where the wires are soldered.

Edited by heady

I always goes by tip = left, center = right ,innermost = ground

dunno which is which just use DMM short short a bit can hear liao

Hi kippei, I know that the tip=left etc. Problem is, the wires came off the plug and I am left with a green and clear twisted pair and a red and clear twisted pair on the headphone side.

It was pretty clear that the clear cables must be ground but I could not assume that red was right cos, traditionally, left is white but I got a green cable. So I very carefully dissected the plug, removing all the plastic parts until I got the plug as in the pic, then I was sure about which is left and right.

I posted this picture as much for myself as anyone else. If I have to do it again, I hope to find this pic on sgheadphones! I am always changing computers and loosing files. biggrin.gif