Sign in to follow this  
theory_87

Another IEM, Studiophonic

Shure is rarely used (I may be wrong here), as they don't really make customs, though many artistes use their personal monitor systems.

Ultimate Ears and Westone customs are used really often, common models include the well-known UE-10, ES-3 and even UE-7 and ES-2

i saw a LOT of shures during one of the sillypore idol shows recently, guys show

Guest joi-ful

Whoa! Thanks kehyi.

That's a really insightful post. Learnt something today @ sgheadphones again.

- thanks to all the very knowledgable kias here. =D

Shure is rarely used (I may be wrong here), as they don't really make customs, though many artistes use their personal monitor systems.

Ultimate Ears and Westone customs are used really often, common models include the well-known UE-10, ES-3 and even UE-7 and ES-2

i saw a LOT of shures during one of the sillypore idol shows recently, guys show

Shures and universal fit IEMs are for CMI singers or performers on a tight budget. The real stars uses UE, Westone or Sensaphonics. If you're Ricky Martin, you use E2c? :lol:

Even for custom IEMs, there are several types. Singers and guitarist will go for the less bass ones, focus more on mids. Drummers and bass players will get the bassier versions.

Having my holidays now. Will be having my exams in like a week's time zzz.

Btw i noticed that most singers wear sometimes like an IEM during concerts or performances. Anyone knows what exactly are those and what are they used for? Like what PurpleLightning wrote... they're wearing shures !?!?!

Sorry for noob question. Newbie here. =P

P.S. Btw food @ NYP is good....

IEMs are used on stage so the singer can hear how he/she is singing as they can't rely on speakers which are pointed towards the audience. The isolation provided also helps to filter out some background noise so it is easier to hear their own voice and the instruments.

Well, i can say for the most common settings in a IEM for artists, you will have a separate console (small) for the IEMs output(wireless). The settings goes like this...

Vocals : + 4 to + 6, Drums : +2, Guitars : +2 to +3, Bass : + 2 to + 3,

All other Electronic components : + 2

Probably another reason why artists chose IEMs over stage board monitors is because they simply want to move around the stage! You can't hear from the monitors if you're nearly leaning off the stage, or too far back with the band. So, IEM is obviously the best choice.