Sign in to follow this  
genocide

nEar 04 speakers

The nEar 04 got a very small footprint. But is the bass good? Impact? I think I have to visit Wilson one of these days to try them out. How much is the nEar 04?

heh, I just want someting to listen to....I don't want to shake the whole house down! :)) If space wasn't a contraint I would probably have bought the nEar 5, but Wilson sold all 3 pairs he had! Hot sellers :))

The nEar 04 got a very small footprint. But is the bass good? Impact? I think I have to visit Wilson one of these days to try them out. How much is the nEar 04?

Here's an interesting article I found: http://emusician.com/speakers/emusic_good_references/

Monitors are designed to produce accurate sound as opposed to pleasing sound....so it may not suitable for all types of music. My nEar 04's sound really great for guitar, instrumental and vocal recordings, where you can really HEAR the details that may be masked by other more bass heavy speakers.

And to answer your question afbug, I plugged in the nEar 04 to the line-out of my Soundblaster Audigy, and the bass wasn't very strong at all, especially compared to my 10yr old Cambridge Soundworks (2 small satellites with sub - sounds awesome for its size & time, and still do :)) )

I dare say the sound can be "improved" further if I run the EAX "effects", but I refuse to install any Creative software other than the drivers :P

If you need more "oomph", ESI-Pro also sells a stand-alone subwoofer, which should considerably boost the low frequency response.

And to answer your question afbug, I plugged in the nEar 04 to the line-out of my Soundblaster Audigy, and the bass wasn't very strong at all, especially compared to my 10yr old Cambridge Soundworks (2 small satellites with sub - sounds awesome for its size & time, and still do :)) )

Sorry to OT..

does your volume control for the cambrige soundworks set has any problem?

Sorry to OT..

does your volume control for the cambrige soundworks set has any problem?

Yeah....the stupid wired volume control thing. I keep getting intermittent sound cutout on one speaker....had to whack the wired control a bit to get the sound back again :bash:

Opened it up, and cleaned the connections, but still it persisted....which was why I was looking at other speakers :))

Yeah....the stupid wired volume control thing. I keep getting intermittent sound cutout on one speaker....had to whack the wired control a bit to get the sound back again :bash:

Opened it up, and cleaned the connections, but still it persisted....which was why I was looking at other speakers :))

Found this replacement

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/c...gory=acc_volume

I'm wondering if can DIY but i'm not good with this stuff :ppth:

Found this replacement

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/c...gory=acc_volume

I'm wondering if can DIY but i'm not good with this stuff :ppth:

bro if u ordering dun mind getting one for me. I tried to order but dunno why my transaction cannot get thru. White Preferably

Hi scanfiend,

Don't mind me asking, how much is that nEar4? cos i need to ditch my Aegis one. Thanks

Well, just an update on the bass of the nEar04 after a few days of listening. I was using Foobar2000 to play back various lame encoded MP3's (VBR High Quality preset).

At first blush, the bass was there....it's just not "in-your-face". The bass was tight, clean & controlled, not bloated or muddy. Clarity was this speaker's strong point. Well, I thought this was probably the best I could achieve for a pair of speakers without a subwoofer.

Then I decided to download some EQ settings for Foobar2000 here: http://sjeng.org/foobar2000.html (I couldn't set decent EQ settings worth a sh*t :blush: )

Holy cow, I finally got the bass that rumbled and vibrated the computer table and shook my teeth when I listened too close! OK, the teeth part was an exaggeration :D It was still tight, but not boomy. More importantly, it had PRESENCE. Great, great improvement.....who would have thought? :party:

Never knew what this babies are capable of. The capabilities were there.....you just have to find a way to drive them properly.

Well, just an update on the bass of the nEar04 after a few days of listening. I was using Foobar2000 to play back various lame encoded MP3's (VBR High Quality preset).

At first blush, the bass was there....it's just not "in-your-face". The bass was tight, clean & controlled, not bloated or muddy. Clarity was this speaker's strong point. Well, I thought this was probably the best I could achieve for a pair of speakers without a subwoofer.

Then I decided to download some EQ settings for Foobar2000 here: http://sjeng.org/foobar2000.html (I couldn't set decent EQ settings worth a sh*t :blush: )

Holy cow, I finally got the bass that rumbled and vibrated the computer table and shook my teeth when I listened too close! OK, the teeth part was an exaggeration :D It was still tight, but not boomy. More importantly, it had PRESENCE. Great, great improvement.....who would have thought? :party:

Never knew what this babies are capable of. The capabilities were there.....you just have to find a way to drive them properly.

You're making me itch now to get a pair of nEar 04, but think I'll hold out for the nEar 05.

bro problem is for nEar 04, u need to be at the "sweet spot" to enjoy the presence of the speaker. I mean if u r gonna fill a room with music, these speakers wun do that job.

hope i dun offend anyone.pls comment

Yeah, as Top-Gun said :P

The nEar series are Near Field monitors...so they are designed to be listened up close....typically no more than 3-5 feet away. So they're perfect as computer speakers....at least for me. That's not to say that they cannot be cranked up LOUD. They can be.

If you want a step up, you can try the nEar05 or nEar06.....which has a SEPARATE amplifier in each speaker. The nEar04 has only 1 amp....the other speaker is passive.

Nice pics of the rather cluttered shop of Wilson's, Top-Gun :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the nEar 04. It really does produce amazing sound for such small enclosures.

A point of puzzlement though. Wilson told me the nEar 04's speaker cones are made from Kevlar (same for the Near 05). A check on ESI-Pro's web site stated that the nEar 04's are made from polypropylene (some kind of plastic, I assume). Only the nEar 05's speaker cones are made from Kevlar. Maybe ESI had not updated their site?