Sign in to follow this  
duntellu

is an amp neccessary on a computer?

Hi pple....

i've got a rather noob question to ask, hope it fits the correct sub-forum :P ( if this is the wrong place, do let me know and I'll post it in the appropriate section)

So far, I've been listening to music/gaming on my computer with an unamped sennheiser HD280. while on the move, its just a ipod with the koss plug ( also unamped).

I'm plannign to audition the AKG 271, the ATH A900 and beyer Dt 700 pro to replace my damaged sennheiser. Now, from what i've read from forums, the beyer Dt700 pro requires an amp for it to sound nice, and I suppose the other 2 headphones i've shortlisted would benefit from an amp too.

Now for the bugging question :

when i was on the sennheiser, my sound level rarely exceeds 5% on the master volume ( although its 100% on the wave ) as i find its a bit too loud to b using them consistenly for hours at a go.

given that i don't listen to music at an ear splitting volume, should I invest in a portable amp ( like the likes of the pa2v2, or cmoy or pint ) or leave it unamped till i finalize my plans for my external dac?

if unamped, would it b possible to compensate by turning up my master volume on the computer?

if it helps, here are the details on my computer

its a DFI lanparty NF4 using the onboard karajan sound module powered by a realtek ALC850 .

the reason i've not upgraded to the x-fi /e-mu series is I'm still not convinced by spending $600 odd on the elite pro version, i can get better sound quality when compared to using the s/pidf or line out and listening to music thru a dedicated amp.

Btw, the Beyer model is DT770 pro and not DT700. If you are so unsure, invest small money like a portable amp (PA2V2) not only for your pc but portable sources too. Impedance of a can will decide if it needs to be driven by an amp. Eg, DT770 pro has an impedance of 250ohms and will definitely benefit from amplication. U can do without it if the selected can has low impedance below 100ohms.

An amp does not just amplify loudness but increase signal to noise ratio by amplifiying the music signal and gives better clarity and control all round. Let's see which can u end up with before exploring further into amps.

Edited by Mackie

With amp sound quality better, thus making ur gaming sensation more better...

:D