Sign in to follow this  
fallraen

Anti-EQ users?

hello, was just listening to my music on lovely ms-2s and i was wondering if there are any others out there who are anti-eq like me.

i don't like like winamp EQ or those on mp3 players pre-set EQ, i'd only use the bass booster some times (the iaudio one is quite good it provides gradual bass boost, not like one shot blast to max bass haha).

i think that the song should be original and non-eq, paired with a good audio system. what do you think?

There's a nice debate about this topic going on in the headfi forums: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191708

Predictably, there are 2 camps :P

I use EQ when I have to, to compensate for the idiosyncracies in my playback equipment, and also to the listening environment.

For those who use the "original as the studio mastered music" argument, how in the world would you know what "original" sounds like if you're not present during the recording session? After all, you're not playing back the music on the original equipment used for the mixing.

And for folks who play music off MP3 players through headphones.....the music is no longer "original" due to compression (assuming lossy mp3). And I read almost all studio mixing is done through HQ studio monitors, not headphones. And we all know headphones's sonic signature vary all over the spectrum :P

Haha, well said. Another point is recording techniques are not exactly what they use to be. If anyone has measured the volume levels of the latest Coldplay album, you will realise what a joke it has become. All levels are turned up to full.