Sign in to follow this  
fallraen

Anti-EQ users?

hello, was just listening to my music on lovely ms-2s and i was wondering if there are any others out there who are anti-eq like me.

i don't like like winamp EQ or those on mp3 players pre-set EQ, i'd only use the bass booster some times (the iaudio one is quite good it provides gradual bass boost, not like one shot blast to max bass haha).

i think that the song should be original and non-eq, paired with a good audio system. what do you think?

Agreed. I don't touch EQ at all. Feel that EQing colors the music and makes it different from the way it's intended to sound.

eq sometime can't be help. it to pay off for those roll off on the earphone or headphone... more me, i like bass so i will boost the bass

Minor EQing is fine IMO, so long as the music doesn't start to distort yet.

Over-EQing however, is a different story altogether.

ya...

the most i will do is to change to bass booster...

too much EQing will affect the smoothness of the song...

This brings one to the question.

Do you enjoy the music, or enjoy the process of listening to it "pure and unadulterated"?

Honestly, I think that we should pick the former, though most of us would pick the latter.

It's difficult to define 'the way it was meant to sound' because your speakers/cans color the sound in its own ways. By not using EQ, we're merely listening to the song 'the way it was meant to' based on your current setup, not exactly what the artiste/sound engineer intended.

Sometimes I lower the higher frequencies a bit when using my Klipsch speakers, which tend to be brighter.

As long as the EQ sets the music to suit your ears its fancy its fine, that's why I said minor EQing is fine :)

My iAudio U3 set-up is BBE 01 EQ 1,1,0,0,1, clipping of RMAA test track is at 0.000% (not clip free, but still minor).

EQ-free purists OTG are a bit of an overkill IMO, since an EQ free setup should be used only in noise free environment I think.

Of course, there are exceptions.

Add:

There're different categories of EQing as well FYI. Most things on MP3 players and compy software based programs utilize software based EQing as far as I know. This is bad stuff. EQ up the midrange through any MP3 player and you'll probably realize how bad things will sound (mostly nasal), and get a headphone/earphone with good mids and you can probably tell the difference then and there.

Hardware EQ I believe should be good stuffs, but that'll take $$$.

Edited by Zephyron

Do you enjoy the music, or enjoy the process of listening to it "pure and unadulterated"?

Honestly, I think that we should pick the former, though most of us would pick the latter.

Yeah I agree. For me, I'd choose the former. But I guess I try to have as much of both worlds as possible haha.

Guest joi-ful

I couldn't said it better better myself. Afterall, what we are trying to enjoy is the music itself. If you like it, then EQ by all means!! :cans:

thats true, if you like the sound of the eq then its okaye, but most of the time when i tried to use the preset eq... wah its bad man. i guess if you use the user eq, it might be better but software can only do this much... :) at the end of the day i guess it still lies in the equipment. :)

hello, was just listening to my music on lovely ms-2s and i was wondering if there are any others out there who are anti-eq like me.

i don't like like winamp EQ or those on mp3 players pre-set EQ, i'd only use the bass booster some times (the iaudio one is quite good it provides gradual bass boost, not like one shot blast to max bass haha).

i think that the song should be original and non-eq, paired with a good audio system. what do you think?

There's a nice debate about this topic going on in the headfi forums: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191708

Predictably, there are 2 camps :P

I use EQ when I have to, to compensate for the idiosyncracies in my playback equipment, and also to the listening environment.

For those who use the "original as the studio mastered music" argument, how in the world would you know what "original" sounds like if you're not present during the recording session? After all, you're not playing back the music on the original equipment used for the mixing.

And for folks who play music off MP3 players through headphones.....the music is no longer "original" due to compression (assuming lossy mp3). And I read almost all studio mixing is done through HQ studio monitors, not headphones. And we all know headphones's sonic signature vary all over the spectrum :P