Sign in to follow this  
genocide

grado hf-1 and ms2i

I've not heard the HF1 before but read many comments and tried a MS2. If both are not limited and cost the same, I'll take the HF1 as the MS2's treble is too bright for me and its bass is a bit weak.

MS2 is clearly a class above the HF1. HF1 is rated at SR225 level. So its SQ will be better but tonally, HF1 will suit me better as it is said to be one of the darkest Grado around. If you know where can I get a HF1, let me know!

Edited by afbug

lol i know wat u mean :D

o ya i tried the hf 1,some how the bass deeper then ms2i ^^; but damn the hf1 are good for portable compared to ms2i :D

i haven't tried the HF1 but i like how it looks. lol.

have owned the HF-1 for a shortwhile and tried out MS2i courtesy of Uncle Wilson at Jaben. But more "fair" comparison i had made (same equipment, same tracks - TS Lim modded 63SE, his i/c and Xiangsheng 708B with Xindak pc-02 p/c) is with SR60 that i owned.

The HF-1 relative to the SR 60 (reverse HD414 pad) is

smoother and more refined

warmer (SR 60 sounded "bright" in comparison)

better instrument separation particularly with complex tracks where lots of instruments come in play together

"tonally" fuller and more realistic eg sound of piano (one of the only instruments i have heard most of my early life, courtesy of hearing ppl practising piano, but no way i can tell one piano brand from another or which is the better piano)

fuller and thicker midrange (sr 60 sounded "thin", in comparison)

on bass, never took a hard listen as i'm not bass guy ...

agree that ms2i is indeed smoother and more refined compared to HF-1

sound signature of sr60 and HF-1 is also very close ... they're same family ... ms2i sounded "less grado" to me ... but don't know how to describe the difference

just my 2 cents with my very limited listening capabilities, personal preference and limited descriptive abilities and YMMV

evil-zen once owned a HF1 and a MS2 but evil-zen sold them all. evil-zen prefers the MS2 as it is less coloured than HF1. this is wat evil-zen said in a PM a while ago.

I compared the MS2 and HF1 and found that I much prefer the MS2. MS2 has a slightly bigger soundstage and instrument placement. Futhermore, the HF1 is more coloured in the midrange. In my system, it sounded a little muddy. Maybe for other brighter systems, the HF1 might be ideal due to the rolloff of highs.
Edited by evil-zen