Sign in to follow this  
zer061zer0

Dr Amp

I lived with the Dr Amp for about a month last July05 (Courtesy of Jaben) and my review was published in August05. I used it to drive my Dynaudioacoustic BM6P, which is rated at 86dB at 6Ohm. Not a very easy speaker to drive. But it did an admirable job. Not the best IMO, not VERY good, but certainly passable. Very clean sounding but lacking bass. It also didn't have the juice to handle large scale classical pieces, but it was fine for radio friendly pop. Using easier to drive MS10i speakers, there wasn't much difference in sound, but I could certainly go louder and the Dr Amp exhibited slightly better control over the drivers.

I did not like that it used 1/4-inch jacks for speaker output instead of standard terminals (even crocodile clips would've been better), because it meant difficulty if you wanted to use your own cables. The small size is awesome. In fact, I would certainly be tempted to run one amp per speaker, kinda like having active speakers.

If you're on a budget and you're starting your journey into the hifi world, the Dr Amp is definitely a good consideration. Pair it with similarly priced speakers like maybe Wharfedale diamonds or Mordaunt Shorts, add a decent source your ipod or a reasonably priced CD player like the Marantz CD5400, and you'll be on your way to a more than decent budget system, sizeably perfect for a small HDB room, costing less than $700

PS. If it matters, I did give the Dr Amp a silver.