norseman

Newbie with um1 Yay! (Good for EQ?)

Ya, I'm just gonna play ard with the settings to see what works. Thing is, I can't do much about my bitrates since most of my music is off the net (ahem...). When you say you rip using EAC+LAME, thats thru iTunes? I know what VBR is, but not EAC and LAME. Same as lossless?

Wow.. seems like many ppl r in favour of UM1!!! I might just be like norseman and get settled with UM1 after testing the rest one of these days.. =) counting down the days of getting an IEM... hehe...

Tell the truth, um1 was my last choice.

My path was sth like: E3c(ppl who got it regret not getting E4c) >E4c(just way outta budget) >5pro(ditto-but I really liked the pig snout nozzle) >im716(needs amping and online order) >3studio(SE sez waiting for revised ed) >E2c(running ouuta options here) >um1(like the bass, faced the facts and keep within budget, plus uncle's unwavering opinion).

Didn't really want etys cuz looking for fuller music for everyday use, might consider them in the future for the details they provide.

Hey, thanks for the detailed info! So when ppl say they use EAC+LAME, they mean they rip CDs into .wav then convert into mp3? doesn't that take up a lot of space? I have a 160GB external HD + 40GB on my notebook but even then I've to move stuff off into DVDs to clear up some space. Think I'm using a total of 400GB in total so far. If I re-rip all my CDs its only gonna get worst... How you guys manage? What software is good?

p.s. Why the forum keep logging me out every few minutes ah?

Been dling quite a few anime series, whole 17 seasons of simpsons, a LOT of movies... When I'm done watching I just pack them off into DVDs. Since I ain't got a HD dap, I use sd n cf cards in my pda to store music n movies when out n about so I don't think lossless is a good option for me, only have 4gb at my disposal. What you think of reripping in my usual bitrate in .ogg? Heard they're roughly twice the quality at same bitrate as mp3s...

Guest joi-ful

fyi, the .wav files are deleted after they're encoded into .mp3 files

Guest joi-ful

^ yup, it's up to one to decide if he wants to keep the lossless files. So no worries regarding ripping to VBR mp3s.

Btw, I haven't heard .ogg files before so I'm not quite in the position to compare VBR mp3 and ogg files. Try both for yourself to find out which suits you. =)

Edited by joi-ful

What are the advantages of .flac? Can point me to a good software for ripping?/encoding?

EAC+LAME

Wow, this place is a mine of information! Gonna try out EAC today. But why rip into .wav then convert to mp3? Issit for the sq? Can straight rip into mp3?

Saw rockbox mentioned often, what's that? God, I sounding really noob, even to me...

Ripped a Prodigy CD at VBR 192. When playing, WMP shows it at 207kb, file explorer shows 256kb, weird... Anyway, compared with a previously ripped version at 192kb CBR sound seems to be fuller, deeper. Thanks fongalv for the lengthy explanations and purple lightning for the link!

Ripped a Prodigy CD at VBR 192. When playing, WMP shows it at 207kb, file explorer shows 256kb, weird... Anyway, compared with a previously ripped version at 192kb CBR sound seems to be fuller, deeper. Thanks fongalv for the lengthy explanations and purple lightning for the link!

you are welcome :party:

RIP UBERLY~ :cans::dance::smoke: