norseman

Newbie with um1 Yay! (Good for EQ?)

Well, after spending ages considering E2c, im716, 3studio, ER6i... I've finally settled on the um1s. Mostly due to uncle Wilson saying, um1 the best! Better than E2c! No question! :DD

So I've plunked down my $160 and quite happy with it too!

So, um1 users, how do they respond to EQing? Since I heard they're lacking in the highs, will they sound better if I bump up the EQ on the right side leaving it flatter to the other end?

Also, advice on burn in? Duration, volume, music?

Oh, how do the soft flexs compare with the standard or long complys?

I own the UM1 too and have read somewhere that it does not require burn in (but you can always still attempt yourself). I have tried the complys, Shure/Etymotics tri/bi-flanges and single grey flex tips but still favour the Westone yellow foam tips. Those can be purchased seperately in a pack of 5 pairs with a cleaning tool at $12 from SE. As for the EQ, i occasionally use Treble Booster on my iPod Nano.

i think UM1 no need to burn in already......

If you want to try then start from a volume lower than what you always listen then slowly to a volume higher than what you always hear.........

ps:i was just now oso at Jaben(abt 5pm+) testing the UM1 and UM2 against my im716.......

The sleeves really depend on you personally. I own a UM2, i find that i cannot use either shure flex sleeves or the yellow foam, because i get a drastic loss in the mids for either of them (the yellow foams destroy the bass as well) The flanges are nice, but way too hard and they hurt, at least for me. I personally use complys, but really the easiest thing to do is just to try them all. :P

If you can get a good fit with either the small or the medium grey flex tips, you will be able to hear enough bass to keep you happy. It works pretty nicely for me.

Well, after spending ages considering E2c, im716, 3studio, ER6i... I've finally settled on the um1s. Mostly due to uncle Wilson saying, um1 the best! Better than E2c! No question! :DD

So I've plunked down my $160 and quite happy with it too!

So, um1 users, how do they respond to EQing? Since I heard they're lacking in the highs, will they sound better if I bump up the EQ on the right side leaving it flatter to the other end?

Also, advice on burn in? Duration, volume, music?

Oh, how do the soft flexs compare with the standard or long complys?

hey, were you the guy with the green shirt, jeans and green (and white?) nike shoes listening to an ER6i with an ipod mini when 2 dudes walked in and accidentally banged the glass door?

If you want to try then start from a volume lower than what you always listen then slowly to a volume higher than what you always hear.........

ps:i was just now oso at Jaben(abt 5pm+) testing the UM1 and UM2 against my im716.......

so which do u prefer? did u test e4?

so which do u prefer? did u test e4?

i still perfer my im716......

UM1:less treble and details as compared to im716

UM2:bass too much for my liking but bass and details is not as bad ex71...... would love it if not for the bass

both were tested wifout amp.....

Edited by dle4e_2005

Heheh... I didn't go Jaben! Called uncle for the details and had my younger sis go pick them up. She went with her bf about 5.30-6.30 I think. Got the s and m soft flexs but decided to try them all out before getting the tri-flanges.

Heheh... I didn't go Jaben! Called uncle for the details and had my younger sis go pick them up. She went with her bf about 5.30-6.30 I think. Got the s and m soft flexs but decided to try them all out before getting the tri-flanges.

i think i saw your sis.....

she buy for you or herself????

Rubber/plastic flanges might be costly but they are a better bang for your bucks on the long run. You should maintain them by cleaning them with methylated spirit once every use. This way you won't need to change the tips as occasionally as the complys or foams. A pack of 5 pairs of yellow foam can last me for about 3-4 months, consider i change a pair every fortnight.

Edited by palestofwhite

She the one with past shoulder length hair. For me of cuz! I wouldn't spend so much effort researching if it were for her, heheh...

Depends on your tastes.

Some people here dn't EQ, some are EQ minimalists. Most DAP EQs CMI anyway.

EQ settings are dependant on various factors such as your source, amps, earphones/headphones, how you rip your tracks, Music genre, etc. These alone can make up endless possibilites of EQ band settings. It's something to be experimented and judged yourself. However there should be some writeups about EQ settings on the net. Maybe some kind souls will fill you up on that?