Sign in to follow this  
pchong

anyone use Zen Vision (not Vision:M) - need help on portable amp

Hi all,

am new here...just bought an MS-1 from Jaben...and using with Zen Vision. Am wondering if I should get an amp...but would require a portable one. Of course, looking and reading would seem PA2V2 or a Super Micro would be a good choice...but don't have opportunity to audition. What do you guys recommend?

Also, the Vision has a line out via a plug at the side...think this would be better sound rather than headphone output into amp?

Thanks, and cheers.

Edited by pchong

how abt LDM+????

it is cheap and have a beautiful casing.....

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5302

or

Xenos RHP and Xenos REP ???

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5148

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5130

Edited by dle4e_2005

thanks, i just signed up for the LDM+ MO.

But would still appreciate if anyone has comments on line out vs headphone out. Also, for the LDM+, when i get it, I guess I should try both modes to see what I prefer...but anybody have any guidance now?

Edited by pchong

I could be wrong, but strictly speaking, a signal from a line-out is unamped and free from any sound effects like bass-boost, EQ & volume settings applied on the player. That should be the case, since the line-out is supposed to bypass the opamp circuits on the player. Connecting from a line-out to the amp is the most ideal.

Unfortunately, most DAP's do not have a line-out jack. For those that do, most of the "line-outs" are not truly line-outs (in the strictest sense of the word), because the signal out is still coloured by whatever EQ and volume settings used on the player.

I have a Vision:M, and I use my amp through the headphone jack. Although the Vision:M has a so-called "line-out" via the dongle, what is does is simply blast the signal out at MAX VOLUME. It overwhelms the input on my amp, and I can only turn the volume knob by JUST A LITTLE, before the volume becomes too loud. Subtle it ain't :bash:

I certainly hope the Vision has a dedicated line-out circuit, but given the lack of it in its flagship Vision:M, I am not hopeful.

Thanks Scanfield.

The Vision does have a dedicated line out, which dongles into 3 x RCA - for video. This was provided to connect the Vision to a TV to playback video etc.

I think the Vision is a higher end model than the Vision:M...given both ate 30GB, and the Vision is more expensive, so I am hopeful...now S$499 vs S$625. How can I find out if it is a true line out or just a headphone out at full blast.

Wait....I thought you meant the Zen V! :blush:

Anyway, the Zen Vision (what's with all this confusing naming? :wacko: ) is a PMP right?

Please let me know how it goes :P

ya, the Vision which is a PMP...I use it mainly for audio...rippind DVDs are a chore! I also use the convenient CF slot for photos directly from my Canon gear.