kaushama

Entry into HIFI CANS HD580? DT880?

Hi I have decided to upgrade my cans to compliment forthcoming XIN SUPERMACRO IV. I can buy DT880 (2003) for 190US$ here and ship HD580 for 200$ (All Inclusive).

I listen to both classical\Jazz and modern RAP\POP music. I have seen many reviews regarding DT880 for its bass thin nature and coloured treble. They are supposed to have very good sound-stage and separation, sometimes less forgiving for bad recordings and compressed music like MP3 whiCh I listen a lot. HD580 seems to have a mid bass hump which gives oooMMph factor. I have seen DT880 compared to HD650 and they say HD580 is about 85% of the HD650.

What is the better headphone?

Insofar, all your judgement were based on reviews and hearsay and none of personal experience. Let your ears decide, there's is no clear winner when personal preference is a variable and a big one at that.

There are a few points which I really find subjective, once again proving opinions are not usually consistent. For instance, I don't find treble of DT880 colored; in fact no trace of it that I can fathom. I gather your source will be a MP3 player? In regard to your favored genre, I wouldn't recommend the pre 2005/06 edition of DT880. You either look at the more expensive contemporary DT880/990 or the current Senns and ATs.

U need to visit Jaben and SE to come to terms with your preference. The fact that these places allow auditions is definitely a boon. However, wait till your amp arrives so you can audition the cans with you source and amp as a unit.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks I did that and auditioned DT880 (2003). Well I did not like the sound signature though it is a very good headphone. It gives marvelous separation and soundstage. Very fast and low BASS. But the BASS lacks the oomph factor though I do not consider myself a bass-head. What I have heard from I think better choice for me, would be HD650. I do not have money to buy it this moment. As you said treble is not colored but more prominent. But it lacks something (may be punch) when it comes to modern genre such as pop, rap or hip hop ,which I listen a lot apart from acoustic music. It less forgiving for KP3 and poor recordings as it is very accurate.

I come from a pair of HD497 and I think I will go for HD580 as my first HI-FI can. Is there a place where I can buy a pair of HD600 grilles?

Edited by kaushama

From what I've read, it seems that they've no more stock for HD600 grilles. What's available now are the HD650 grilles which cost alot more. You might want to check with Sennheiser though.

Try to auditon the Beyer dt770s and some alessandros and let me know what you think about them.

Edited by mirage

Yah, i think the DT-770 is more suited for you if you are looking for more ooomph basswise. Maybe you should be looking at closed-cans instead of open ones.

But DT770 is not suitable for classical music. Maybe a semi-open design like the current DT880 is more suitable to your palate.

You might want to consider the 2003 DT990 instead. It should be about the same price level as the 580, and IMO more resolving.

cmk: Do u mean 2006 version and not 2003 DT990?

The 2006 version would be above his budget if he was looking at the HD580 and 2003 DT880 I think. Of course if he could stretch it to the 2006 model, then that would be best.

There is no such thing as a 2003 edition unless you consider the coiled and straight cable version as a new edition. The DT770 and DT990 which feature a so-called "diffuse-field equalized" frequency response were introduced in 1985 and ran its course till 2005/2006, when the latest DT770/880/990 models were given a total overhaul. Pre 2005/2006 DT880 was introduced in 1980. Pro versions of DT770/990 remain unchanged till this day.

Edited by Mackie

DT990 has bloated bass and treble for my liking. I like the balance of DT880 with little bit of punch in BASS. Dt880 has fast accurate and very low bass response. But lacks something which needs to have when listening to modern genre I thought. Its little bit more analytical than needed for those kind of music. As I need lots of MP3s (above 196KHz) I need more forgiving kind of a can too.

I heard post-2005 DT880 has this corrected and its beyond the reach of my wallet right now. What are the negative points of HD580?