Sign in to follow this  
ekoliew

Need recommendation for headphones! (HD595, AD900s, and DT880s)

I'm using 595 and I find that they're boring when no amp is used. 595s needs an amp to sound good IMO despite those ppl said at headfi. And I discovered that by adding a 75ohm resister to those 50ohms 595s, it makes its bass stronger and have more presence and slam.

If you're going the DT880 route, give those DT990 a try. They're better I felt. Improves on the DT880 in almost every aspect.

I would choose the DT990 over the DT880 also :D

Edited by zhapchit

Actually I tried the DT990 last time and found the sound a little too sharp for my liking. The DT880s had a wider soundstage which is quite nice actually.

Talking about the DT880s, are there any places selling the pre-2006 models? What is the diff between the pre-2006 and 2006 model?

I'm using 595 and I find that they're boring when no amp is used. 595s needs an amp to sound good IMO despite those ppl said at headfi. And I discovered that by adding a 75ohm resister to those 50ohms 595s, it makes its bass stronger and have more presence and slam.

If you're going the DT880 route, give those DT990 a try. They're better I felt. Improves on the DT880 in almost every aspect.

I would choose the DT990 over the DT880 also :D

Here's what you get with the new (2006) DT880:

- lighter in weight (more comfortable)

- more refined sounding mids.

- improved bass(slightly)

- a straight cord vs the coiled one of the older version.

- better controlled treble

On the other side, you lose:

- the extension cord (no big deal as it affects the sound quallity)

- the fancy aluminium box (a real shame as it adds to the pride of ownership)

In a nutshell, I feel the 06 version is an improvement over the earlier version. At this moment, I believe that you might have some difficulty finding a pre-06 version at retailers now.

For the record, I also prefer the current DT880 over the DT990.

As always, find an opportunity to listen for yourself and trust your ears. :cans:

Edited by tbln

The DT880s had a wider soundstage which is quite nice actually.

I'm surprised as DT990 is an open back design whilst DT880 being semi-open. If closed design has the most narrow soundstage, then DT990 should sound more open than DT880. If the reverse finding is true, perhaps the run-in condition/system used is a factor.

Edited by Mackie

Hmm.. I don't know. When I heard my jazz vocal tracks, felt that the DT880s just sounded better. Maybe I used the wrong terminology of openess, but I remembered that the Diana Krall (Live in Paris) CD sounded really like I was there live in the concert. But my memory might not serve me well since I have last listened to it in about 2 weeks ago. Going to audition again soon. haha

The DT880s had a wider soundstage which is quite nice actually.

I'm surprised as DT990 is an open back design whilst DT880 being semi-open. If closed design has the most narrow soundstage, then DT990 should sound more open than DT880. If the reverse finding is true, perhaps the run-in condition/system used is a factor.

Edited by ekoliew

Haha thanks. I would definitely give the DT880s a spin when I decide to make the purchase. Thought I was the only one as people generally found the DT990s to be better.

Here's what you get with the new (2006) DT880:

- lighter in weight (more comfortable)

- more refined sounding mids.

- improved bass(slightly)

- a straight cord vs the coiled one of the older version.

- better controlled treble

On the other side, you lose:

- the extension cord (no big deal as it affects the sound quallity)

- the fancy aluminium box (a real shame as it adds to the pride of ownership)

In a nutshell, I feel the 06 version is an improvement over the earlier version. At this moment, I believe that you might have some difficulty finding a pre-06 version at retailers now.

For the record, I also prefer the current DT880 over the DT990.

As always, find an opportunity to listen for yourself and trust your ears. :cans:

Oh yes, the new DT880 should not be discounted since it costs $100 lower than DT990. This $ difference certainly can swing in favour of the former even if the latter sounds better but marginally in the consumer's opinion.

Hello,

Great to know you too! Haha. Now need to test out my pcdp. My purchase sounds great on my Marantz CDP. Really enjoying my purchase.

' date='16 Aug 2006, 09:06 PM' post='74055']

Congrats on your purchase today ekoliew!

Now I know your name :D

Anyway, enjoy your music!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice and feedback. I have bought the DT880s with the iCute (non-battery model). Now it's plugged in to my Marantz CD17mk3 cd player and it sounds great! Thanks to all of you again.

Edited by ekoliew

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice and feedback. I have bought the DT880s with the iCute (non-battery model). Now it's plugged in to my Marantz CD17 cd player and it sounds great! Thanks to all of you again.

Congrats! Enjoy ur new toys :DD

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice and feedback. I have bought the DT880s with the iCute (non-battery model). Now it's plugged in to my Marantz CD17mk3 cd player and it sounds great! Thanks to all of you again.

Hi Ekoliew,

Any reason for your choice of the non-battery iCute instead of the battery one? I am interested in the amp too, but wondering if it is "power" enough for the Beyer 250ohms cans. I briefly ampled the battery one but not impressed with it, will go Jaben again to test somemore. Great choices you got. I tried the DT880s and yes they are very very good, DT990 are just as good and I feel they sound different. Of course the price is different but it really depends on the choice of the preference based on the kind of music/songs or hardware used together, synergy. Cheers.