Sign in to follow this  
Tristram

Any good tips for a portable head amp

Hi, I am newbie here and would appreciate advice and good recommendations to drive my sennheiser headphones as I am quite a loud music/song listener. I usually max most potable players/mini-hifis and sometimes even that may not be enough, if that had not affected the music in the first place. My Senn PX100 still runs mostly ok but my Senn 495 Silver simply dying for more power to drive it. Read about Air Head, Tube and Xenos Amps but not really sure what they can do. May make trip to Jaben or SE to find out more. Cheers.

Hi, I am newbie here and would appreciate advice and good recommendations to drive my sennheiser headphones as I am quite a loud music/song listener. I usually max most potable players/mini-hifis and sometimes even that may not be enough, if that had not affected the music in the first place. My Senn PX100 still runs mostly ok but my Senn 495 Silver simply dying for more power to drive it. Read about Air Head, Tube and Xenos Amps but not really sure what they can do. May make trip to Jaben or SE to find out more. Cheers.

better to use the budget and get a closed headphone or an IEM. At these levels of listening, prepare to lose your hearing!! Using IEM or closed headphones might be better for you.

Thanks viix,

But the In-ear ones are not comforatable to my likings. I used to look for Closed headphones but so far could not hear a good affordble pair yet... any suggestions for brands/models? Moreover, I have read that the use of the portable amps may also prolong the battery life, and to try enhance the power and richness of the sound with my desktop, notebook and other sources. I do not listen long periods loudly, and I do use in-ear sennheiser plugs on public transports. Only nightly luxury listening times would I up the volumes. By the way, any advice on pricings on some of the amps? I only saw the pricings of the 2 Xeno models as stated by SE. Cheers.

I usually max most potable players/mini-hifis and sometimes even that may not be enough, if that had not affected the music in the first place.

1 good tip, have your ears check. :P

No seriously let your ears decide, go down to Jaben or SE have an audition on those amps bring along your headset & source/player.

Lastly, double check your wallet.

welcome to the darkside ....... :D

There is 1 amp on Classified by Top-Gun = Little dot Micro+, dunno if been sold or not.

For closed cans, AT A series cans, AKG DJ81K iirc. Those can be audit at SE.

Work on your volume management. :))

I would still like to use my headphones even at 60 years old.

Let me share with you some experience. I work onboard ships as a assistant engineer, spend 10 hours each day working in the engine room. My hearing was temporarily dimished even with my ear plugs on.

The effect of working in noisy envirnment will result in hearing defects, and probably an easily agitated person.

Take care of your ears my friend. There's no transplant for ear drums as far as the medical technology has.

Anyway, what is your budget for close headphones?

This is what i recommend for close headphones around a hundred buck : Sennheiser HD 212 Pro & eH 250.

My review for them, worthy.

Hi brother zonalblitz_audio,

I will check out your recs. Ya, I would prefer to start around 100 SGDs (unless proven the diff really too much for the next better model, quality to price)as I am really exploring this long time nterest in good sounds. Also I would like to start on building a good room system. Any suggestions? Maybe not here huh... I would look at the proper forum page to learn from all the brothers (or sisters, if any). Btw, I have also joined the MO for the LDM+ after yourself, as I trust your stds and from the many recs/reviews. Hope we'll have better final price.

And do you think I should get a better inter connect? if so, which/from where?

Haha, sure you will need a better interconnects if you want steady juice running into your headphones. Just like good engines needs good fuel.

Anyway, i learn about the LDM+ from all fellow forumers here. Read their reviews and decided to get one myself. :DD

Anyway, i'm not so experienced person in audio because i still have to juggle between my other hobbies and stuffs. Well, satisfication and fun is all i want from this hobby. :))

And do you think I should get a better inter connect? if so, which/from where?

You can get Cardas interconnect. There was an annoucement by Jaben the other day.