Sign in to follow this  
[J]-ohn

IEM and canal - different meaning?

I believe the terms are used interchangeably. However, I tend to view IEM's as being deeper insertion compared to canals - the ETY's, the Westone ES series, the UM series with the custom molds, etc. They really go deep into your ear canal.

Perhaps someone should do a simple comparison chart or something similar to show between IEM and canal phones? I believe there are people who still get this 2 terms mixed up. :))

Pardon me, there is somethng i do not understand.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Why are phones are called canal phones where they are not in canal? :D

Please do educate us. :lol:

Let me try....

IEM = In-Ear Monitors

Canal phones = Self explainatory; inserting to ear canal, thus, similar to IEMs

But? IEM being monitors, like studio monitors, these are specially produced for flatter response, greater accuracy and resolution, and also better isolation for stage/event applications. I deduce IEM falls into the larger canal phones category.

CANAL PHONES > IEM (PRO AUDIO)

v

CONSUMER PHONES

(eg. EX71/90 etc)

Edited by Mackie

canal fone sit on the opening of ur ear canal... IEM sit deep in ur ear canal...

that's funny.... I think both ex71 and westone or shure all feels like they sit deep into my ears..... could they all mean the same thing?

To me, canal phones and IEMs are the same but the latter is further distinguished for the role it plays as highlighted in Top-Gun's post above. If any of the comply or shure tips fit on a Sony EX71, the penetration similar to that of any IEM should be felt.

I did a google search on canal phones. Look at the results it generates.

Edited by Mackie

' date='29 Aug 2006, 11:35 AM' post='76012']

Haha, my turn!

Altec Lansing iM716 with Shure soft flex grey tips sitting on ear canal = canalphone

Altec Lansing iM716 with Shure soft flex grey tips w/ Oto-Ease and pushed deeply in = IEM

See the difference? :no::blink::grin:

Actually, what I believe is that there are no differences, it's just a switchable term, like bike vs motorcycle, it's dependant on what context you were referring to...

IEMs are used per their explanation, In Ear Monitors, basically this is used by artists, recording engineers, yada-yada... but when consumers came into the line, canalphone got mixed in due to us using the word on normal earbuds..

So accept what it is and enjoy your music! ;)

Cheers!

haha... so it depends on how u where it... i use without Oto-Rase and i push it in deeply...

haha... i just push it all the way in till it can't reach and further... i can feel it touches my ear canal... sorry for the wrong typo. u noe... haha... some time u r thinking of these words but u can say/write the other... hee...

It's more that:

IEM's give you more isolation and better quality of sound than canalphones.

IEM's can provide up to 23dB isolation as canalphones can only do so around 15.

but are IEMs bad for the ears? stuffing it deep inside and playing the music may harm your ears?

Let me give a fun analogy. Standing real close to a turbo jet engine (if you're not already sucked in) will blow your ear drums in the same way as hearing IEMs at insane spl. It's not the proximity of sound source to the ear drums but loudness that matters.

Edited by Mackie

' date='30 Aug 2006, 01:34 AM' post='76124']

Do u even know what you are writing, my friend? :D

I'm sure your Altecs are always in contact with your ear canals.. :bash:

Ear drums should be the phrase you were looking for :rolleyes:

Here's a pic for reference :

IPB Image

It is very unlikely that you are able to insert the Altecs deep into your eardrum, my friend.

Most likely u have hit the upper wall of your ear canal, as most of our ears are not straight but go through a slight bend, so as to protect the ear drums from foreign objects...

Hope this clear things up for everyone!

Cheers!

i mean deep in the ear canal... nt the outside...

but if u insert canalphones to the max.. den i can also say it block out most of the noise ma.. so canalphone can work as iem for noise reduction lo?

but if u insert canalphones to the max.. den i can also say it block out most of the noise ma.. so canalphone can work as iem for noise reduction lo?

the problem is canal fones design do not allow u to go so deep lyk IEM...