the_omen

Help choosing new earphones.

Hi all,

I'm seeking advice on what new earphones to buy. I was using a pair of the Panasonic HJE-70 until recently until the left side crapped out on me due to internal wire breakage. I'll using whatever it is I buy with mainly an iPod video 60gb with no amp (which kind of defeats the purpose of portability for me). I listen to a large variety of music which can largely be broken down into jazz, house, trance, drum n bass, hip-hop, rock and metal. That being said, I do enjoy fairly substantial and strong bass in my choice of earphones, hence the HJE-70 (which had fairly punchy bass).

Currently I'm strongly considering the Super.fi 5EB because of it's reputation for having extremely strong bass and the fact that the cables in UE earphones are user-replacable. This is because I have a tendency to be a little rough on my earphones and so far, the main causes of breakdown with any earphones I've ever owned tend to be due to problems with internal wire breakages.

My budget would possibly extend up to SGD$400 and any suggestions that come in a lot lower than that amount would be appreciated.

My thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions given.

although you gave the impression that you have a penchant for bass, i'd advise against the UE super.fi 5EB. i'm like (lots of) bass too, but seriously, the 5EB extra bass presence on the it takes too much away from the rest of the music. if you can, go down to Jaben at the Adelphi to have a listen for yourself.

oh and while you're there, pick up a pair of UM2 heh. i think you will like those. but they havent got replaceable cables like the UE though.

I listen to a large variety of music which can largely be broken down into jazz, house, trance, drum n bass, hip-hop, rock and metal. That being said, I do enjoy fairly substantial and strong bass in my choice of earphones, hence the HJE-70 (which had fairly punchy bass).

I think 5Pro might be a better choice for punchy bass. Punchy bass as in a good attack and fast decay (For example : kick with a hammer-head bassdrum pedal onto the drum head). You might find that property more in 5Pro than 5EB? Give them a try. :))

Try on the variety you can find; like the UM2 etc..

Why don't u bring down your player & trial test the earphone at Stereo Electronics in Causeway Point ?

S$400 can really get u a lot of choices.

Can ask Aron for advise ?

Edited by Jeremy