Sign in to follow this  
dgps

Sound Improvement Disc (SID) or Statmat

hi all,

this is a follow-up to the posting on STatmat at the Classified. I though it would be a good idea to start a topic on this.

so now there is SID & STatmat retailing at $46 & $95 respectively...

anyone wants to share his experience (the pros & cons) with the above 2? esp mackie.....

thanks............

Earlier contribution on classifieds:

"The SID seems to be more friendly on the mechanism of cdps as opposed to thick cd dampeners in the past. I can get it for $46 at Soundscape Hifi, Adelphi. Just let the boss (JR) know that I recommended this to ya and U'll can get it at this price. He knows me by my nickname too.

I've failed to demonstrate the technicalities of my SID during the meet. Not only does it dampens vibration while the disc is spinning, the green body helps the cdp's laser to focus better as it seems to be reactive with the wavelength of green colour. When the SID is placed atop a cd, flip them over and U'll see the green body skirting the inner and outer rims of the cd."

How it sounds and why the popularity?

Let it be known that Sony Corp has purchased huge quantities of SIDs for use in demonstrations of their cdps, sacdps and dvdps in the Asia Pacific region. It denotes the SID works well with Sony transports.

Is it beneficial sonically? Effects are subtle initially but once used to it, it's hard not to keep using the SID. Imaging is more focused and involving, every detail is more apparent and closer to listener. Sheen of cymbals/top hats are clearer while timbre takes on a fuller nature. All these are my personal opinions and by no means a large degree but subtle.

The only detriment (if any) is perhaps a slight dip in airiness but only detectable through cans and not speakers.

As per JR's advice, SID may work for some but not all. He offers money-back guarantee and so, it's worth a try. Btw, SID is priced at near $50 for non-echoloft members but of course, he is obliging to introductions by regulars.

Edited by Mackie

I have the Statmat CDi Blue. The most obvious difference of the Statmat is the lower noise floor, which means you hear more details (micro-dynamics). On Stephanie Sun's 'Kite', during the intro - the howling of the wind is more prominent and doesnt actually sound like a distant train.

On the other properties like soundstaging, imaging...I did not notice any difference. Anyway, if your transport is not very sturdy to begin with, the Statmat can be a pro or a con.

Pro - for thinner CDs which the transport has a hard time trying to read, it might help.

Con - for weak transport, the Statmat can cause disc reading failure due to slippage between Statmat and the CD.

I recommend the Statmat for CDPs that comes with a puck - it works better in those. If you are looking at a demagnitising agent, you may want to look at the Bedini CD Clarifier.

Naimed, I've heard the effects of Bedini CD Clarifier on cds and the first thing I noticed is heightened dynamics. What's your opinion? I was told this cd spinner sells close to $100 right.

Mackie. I heard a Bedini'd CD briefly and it has similar benefits of the Statmat. Personally I feel the improvements of both are obvious but at the same time, it is also minor - like a sunscreen at the back of the car.

If the $100 can go towards funding a better source, that would be more beneficial. They are probably more for people already at the end of the road...with nothing else to upgrade. ;P

I'm using statmat blue, it does help. But when using with portable, it will mass up the rythem, I think it's because portables don't have enough power.

Don't know about others though.