Sign in to follow this  
stussyking

Panasonic SL-CT790 vs MD RH1

any thoughts on SQ between these two ?

i googled and found nothing significant.

Dude, the abovementioned products are portable audio gears right? So it should belong to the Portable forum. I've duly moved it to the right place.

Btw, SL-CT 790 was the predecessor of SL-CT820, which is the flag ship model in the series that comprises of SL-CT720. I have both the 790 and 720. The newer series have digital amps which contributes greatly to transparency. Even the eq modes sound better and more realistic. In its days, SL-CT790 sounded better than its equivalent Sony ranges IMHO. The former was my replacement of a Sony D777 pcdp, which I found it to be a hard contender to match by the Sony models at the same time when Pannie SL-CT790 was contemporary.

Edited by Mackie

hows does the 820 flagship models compared to the Sony vintage pdcp as compared by Duncan on headfi ??

anyone ?

My friend U are going in circles. Buy what's available as gathering a database of present vs vintage players is quite pointless as there are risks and issues surrounding the latter which U must be aware of.

In my case, I got a SL-CT790 to replace D777, not because of sound quality but age concerns. If I were trying to upgrade sound quality alone, I would have kept the D777 instead of spending more money on a new pcdp, although the 790 sounds great too. In this respect, focus on what you are seeking from the onset. A more feasible approach would be to test the preceding and current range of pcds that are still available. If 820 is no longer available, try out 720 and the latest 830 models.

Edited by Mackie

The 820 offers a few extra facilities over the 720 which I thought was not applicable to me, thus, I chose the cheaper model. Sound wise, I can't tell the difference.

Anyhow, please check out the latest CT730/830 models. I have posted a link to its brochure on a different but similar thread on pcdp.