scanfiend

The Sennheiser Orpheus

At the request of a friend, I had the previlige of listening to the Orpheus. Now I won't go into big details of how it sounds, cos' the "audition" was a short 30mins, but in a word - heavenly.

My previous experience with electrostatics were Stax, and this, Orpheus is the best electrostatic I've heard todate. Full of detail, smooth sounding, yet completely natural. It has loads of detail, even the slight nuances and harmonics of piano's tone were reproduced faithfully. Its very quiet despite being amplified by tubes, I did not notice any tube rush. And the amazing thing to me at least, was the dynamics of the panels. This baby rocks! There's bass a plenty too. Nothing is over-emphasized or out of place which would raise eye brows.

My only criticisms are: its just too smooth, there's not enough drama. The soundstage is a little closed in, although the individual instruments are still clearly separated.

Overall: Smooth, detailed, leaning to slightly warm, yet completely natural. These are the ultimate goals that I set out to achieve when building my hifi system, and they are attained in these hideously expensive and rare headphones. If money were no object, I would take these without even thinking.

nice meeting u over there today cmk. im the guy in black-t lol

oh ya evil-zen mind bringing out stax 3030 and let us try out?

im very curious abt it :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

hope next time i could have more time with them :grin::grin:

the Forumers should have your chance to audition them soon :D

Edited by s2k

hey s2k y did u took the picture of my plastic bag!

i didnt gave u the permission to do so!

lol jus kidding !

Must compare with the Stax Omega II not 3030 :grin:

s2k's topic merged with this one, cheers.

Another extract of the Mythology of Orpheus :

Orpheus

by James Hunter

Orpheus was the son of Calliope and either Oeagrus or Apollo. He was the greatest musician and poet of Greek myth, whose songs could charm wild beasts and coax even rocks and trees into movement. He was one of the Argonauts, and when the Argo had to pass the island of the Sirens, it was Orpheus' music which prevented the crew from being lured to destruction.

When Orpheus' wife, Eurydice, was killed by the bite of a serpent, he went down to the underworld to bring her back. His songs were so beautiful that Hades finally agreed to allow Eurydice to return to the world of the living. However, Orpheus had to meet one condition: he must not look back as he was conducting her to the surface. Just before the pair reached the upper world, Orpheus looked back, and Eurydice slipped back into the netherworld once again.

Orpheus was inconsolable at this second loss of his wife. He spurned the company of women and kept apart from ordinary human activities. A group of Ciconian Maenads, female devotees of Dionysus, came upon him one day as he sat singing beneath a tree. They attacked him, throwing rocks, branches, and anything else that came to hand. However, Orpheus' music was so beautiful that it charmed even inanimate objects, and the missiles refused to strike him. Finally, the Maenads' attacked him with their own hands, and tore him to pieces. Orpheus' head floated down the river, still singing, and came to rest on the isle of Lesbos.

- Encyclopedia Mythica

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/o/orpheus.html

created on 03 March 1997; last modified on 26 May 1999

Hey, err...who's camera was it that had my photo on it?

Could you like, send it to me via email? Many thanks... :cans: