Sign in to follow this  
nicholaslee

My Westone UM56 custom earmolds!

Hi everyone!

Thanks to Uncle Wilson I finally recieved my long awaited custom earmolds :lust:

Very excitedly went down to Jaben to collect them the next day after recieving the call and was able to get them into my ears easily.

Using it the for the 3rd day now, I'm actually quite disappointed as it is not able to provide an even seal for both sides of my ears :cry:

My left ear is leaking always and outside noise is quite audible. If I were to hold/push it with my hands, the seal would have been perfect but after let it go, it's leaking again!

While the right is still rather acceptable although it leaks alittle bit still.

On mrt during underground, the noise would be as it is of a comply when it leaks.

How ah? Those who have their own custom mold pls comment if yours is like this or it's really perfect seal :rclxub:

Sorry for this long naggy post :blush:

Regards

Nicholas

Edited by nicholaslee

think you shld look for uncle wilson to have Westone redo for you...

Think I will try it for a week more.

But did u get perfect seal? Perfect seal as in even in the underground in the train atleast 90%-100% of the noise is blocked off?

I read that some people had the "open-mouth" or "close-mouth" impression. What was yours? All I know I chatted with uncle wilson alittle while the mold was in my ears. I wonder if it caused this :doh:

a closed-mouth impression will give a relax fitting.

if u wants a perfect tight seal, u shld go for a "open-mouth" or rather "drop-your-jaws" impression.

maybe u open ur jaw, stick it in, close ur jaw, and twist to find the sweetspot.

Or u can do the "hand over head pulling ear" move sensei wilson tot some of us... lol

a closed-mouth impression will give a relax fitting.

if u wants a perfect tight seal, u shld go for a "open-mouth" or rather "drop-your-jaws" impression.

My fitting is somewhere like the complys, is that relax fitting?

I read some people describe their earmolds until "cannot feel it's even in the ears!" My isn't like it though.. :no:

when it feels like complys, u have achieved abt 80% of its purpose. :) "permenant complys lol"

maybe its ur ears that r nt adapted to it yet.

did u purchase the liquid lubricant which can assist ur inserting? it helps.

lol thx fong for correction

Edited by ahdui

nope its impossible to block off 90% of the sounds...probably 60% at best without any music...This, I believe is because of the additional joint between the molds and the earpieces...

especially if you are refering to subway sounds, which are probably deep vibrations that penetrate you entire body, thus has got nothing to do with how well the molds isolate...

so far most of the reviews(GENERAL concensus) for earmolds Ive come across rate earmolds like this:

Isolation:

Triple flange>Earmolds>Foamies

Comfort:

Earmolds>Foamies>Triple flanges

Hi! thanks for your explaination. I guess without music the isolation was around 40%. Actually even not in the underpass no vibrations, sometimes I still can hear people speaking at normal levels :bruce:

In fact, I can get a perfect or ard 85% seal. But as soon as I move my jaws or tilt my head abit, it's gone and I can feel a passage of leakage from the outside on my left ear :sweat:

did u purchase the liquid which will assist ur inserting? it helps.

I have no problems with the inserting :grin: but does that helps to give me a good seal?

A perfect seal example: In the water submerged, based on my personal earmoulds.

Hope this helps.

kind of. But it would be quite uncomfortable I guess. I want atleast 90% seal with music on but maybe I need to try it for few more days.

Anyway I'll post pix of my earmolds later guys! :party::party:

I read some people describe their earmolds until "cannot feel it's even in the ears!" My isn't like it though.. :no:

well i can personally tell you that is more hyperbole than fact. i have both closed jaw and opened jaw impressions done. in both cases, you will definitely be able to feel the earmolds tucked in your ear canals. the difference, in terms of "feelings", between these two, is that you can feel the opened jaw impressions pushing out against your ear canals more so than closed jaw impressions, which is not unexpected though.

oh and do try some Oto-Ease. they do help quite a bit in achieving a good "acoustic seal" (quoting that from the user manual).

Edited by rkivie

the lubricant will help push the moulds further in :)

said by teddysaur when i met him last time IIRC.

Edited by ahdui

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

the lubricant will help push the moulds further in :)

said by teddysaur when i met him last time IIRC.

My seems to be able to go in quite deep already. Maybe due to my oily ears :P

I would give it a few more days of testing before concluding it is a bad mold or not :beer:

But the seal is always on and off. Sometimes it's good, especially if I'm not moving about. Not good seal when I move about. :yuck:

Edited by nicholaslee

FWUAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

another nice design but i still prefer the sparkling 1 lol.

lets hope my clear 1s r realli as clear as top-gun's icecubes lol

Qsilver: &)*!@#)!%#% i noe what u mean lol.

Edited by ahdui

FWUAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

another nice design but i still prefer the sparkling 1 lol.

lets hope my clear 1s r realli as clear as top-gun's icecubes lol

Qsilver: &)*!@#)!%#% i noe what u mean lol.

I felt black was a safer colour as it wouldn't turn yellowish or "cloudy" if I choosed the clear ones :D