Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cruise

DIY ur amps or branded amps

Guest Cruise

Hi, Im new to this audiophile obsession and I was wondering how u guys actually choose an amp that is suitable to ur headphones? How abt the various interconnects to go with e amps? Are these amps DIY or its being built by a branding company? Cos I hav been to PAV2 webby and read up that its partly DIY. Thks!~ :P

In "audiophilia" there's a blur line between DIY and commercial products. Simply because everyone wants to get the BEST out of their components. It's can range from DIY amps to modified commercial players costing a few dollars to a few grand.

Every equipment has different sonic qualities and price. Often, price doesn't equate to quality or to be more specific, the most expensive MAY not be the most sweet sounding equipment for you.

The key to audio nirvana is "flavour". Pick the sound you like and match your components to it. Brands doesn't matter.

For a start, the more common amps available here are the LDM+, Pa2v2, XIN SM3/4, XS708, LDII, Original Masters, RSA Honet, firestone amps, Go Vibes, cmoy, soha, yaha, ppas and many many more..

ICs are mostly customs. From Stereo's custom ICs to Jaben's, or use the supplied IC that came with you amp, and the more experimental ones will diy anything from canare/belden/PCOCC even silver cables.

And as usual ONE is NEVER ENOUGH, SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET. (you may not understand this quote now, but you will SOON~ :bruce: )

Edited by viix

Nowadays Commercial DIY is very common. Even I think Headamp and RS is considered in the same category, just that they are high end.

i think this is entrepreneurship.. more and more hobbyists start to sell their own amps.

fongalv: you were down Jaben ytd and u didnt see them lol?

they r posted at the announcements already :)

Guest Cruise

Ic!~ lols, tats really customised.. guess u need to have abit of electrical knowledge to know how to mod amps.. well, like wat u guys sae, my wallet can suffer, not my ears.. I was very particular with my ear plugs e other day at the Range.. I was totally paranoid abt getting deaf frm gunshots.. :sweat:

fongalv: yep, i was down at Jaben today and i saw a couple of peps buying e new ICs.. nice colors too!~ :yeah:

they were awesome. tested it myself at jaben just now. shucks now im torn between upgrading to get a go-vibe with my um-1 or getting sf5.pro.

Maybe i'll just get both!

currently no $$$ so cannot talk much...

but tested out my fren's amp is good...

he is dle4e_2005...

the amp now little ppl got liao, but i like it all are balanced on my ep630 n it sounds great...

but dunno wads the amp named... will post again to let u all noe....