Sign in to follow this  
tassardar_

Need recommandation on Portable Heaphones

Hi,

Need opinions on which headphone is more suitable for j-pop music. Im not a fan of heavy bass though. I have a westone UM1 but I gave my sis used it so need something portable yet decent.

Currently I know of PX100 and Koss Sporta and Porta pros. Thanks for the replys. Dont have much time to go down and slowly audition the headphones so hope I can get the general opinions here.

the akg k81dj? i feel that it's quite a good pair of headphones.

KSC75? if somebody does a MO again.

and also, what's your budget?

For portable cans, I seriously do not recommend open cans. I mean, who wants to listen to the traffic and MRT announcements?

For that reason, although portapros, ksc75s, px100s, sr60s are good cans, I seriously won't suggest them for portable use.

That leaves the usual px200, k26p, and k81dj. I've owned all three.

PX200: to me, it doesn't sound right. odd tonality.

K26P: it's better, but too much bottom end and too little top end. Can get better results if paired with a source or amp that's the opposite or at least eq-able to the oppostie, i.e. less bottom end and more top end.

K81DJ: better than the other two, but need longer burn-in and removing the inner foam pad. But still it has too much bottom end. I now pair it with a brighter source (iaudio x5) and a bright amp (LDM+). To me it sounds almost perfect now.

Note that all three cans need an amp to sound reasonable. That will bring your budget above $100. Also, do consider your player, which needs to be brighter or eq-able to go well with these cans. If can't stretch the budget, you can try those philips cans. I don't have experience with philips cans, so can't advise on them.

K81DJ's are a go IF you can get them.

Cheaper choices are the Philips HP460 and SHL9500. Very similar sound signature to the K81DJ's. Less isolation but better comfort.

If I am not mistaken, JPop has alot of psychedelic eurobeat syth in it that can be fast and overly bright. The k81 is suitable for this genre of music. Do not go for too bright a can. But the 81s is a little on the bass heavy side.