Sign in to follow this  
tzeminn

What closed cans go best with IPOD Shuffle?

Hi guys,

Need some help here. I've got an Ipod Shuffle. Love it to death. I take public transport and listen to my shuffle and not disturb people around me. Please may I have some recommendations for great earphones to pair with my Shuffle? No budget considerations, just not too bulky.

Cheers!

Since money is no object, get some in-ear monitors. Westones, Shures, Superfis and Etymotics are popular brands. Plus, they isolate sound so they are ideal for public transport.

However, you should note that playing music at a higher bitrate will shorten battery life. Generally, the more expensive an IEM, the higher the bitrate at which you should play your music. So while a top end model will get you better sound, it will shorten battery life. You thus need to strike a balance between sound quality and battery life.

To get a rough idea of prices/specifications, you can contact retailers like Stereo Electronics (do a search on him in the member database) or Jaben (wilson@jaben.net).

Edit: There seems to be a discrepancy between your thread title ("closed cans") and your message ("earphones")... generally, "cans" refers to those large DJ-style ones, whereas earphones include IEMs, earbuds etc.

Edited by david.chew

Well, cans usually means all headphones in general... The fact that you have to play at higher bitrates for more expensive IEMs is not true. There are high-end IEMs which will do fine with a less than fantastic source such as the E5 which I used to own and the E500 which i own now. Some IEMs can be more sensitive than other though, particulaly Etymotic's ER-4 and ER-6 along with Altec Lansing's IEMs.

Guys I really appreciate all the replies so far. Sorry for the wrong terminology. I'm a music lover lah. I've been listening to my Grado 60s forever.

I actually don't mind looking like a geek on the bus with oversized DJ style headphones. I'm hesitant on using inearphones like Etymotic. Long-term I'm worried about the music source being so close to my eardrums.

So, I'd really like a pair of DJ style headphones to connect to my Ipod Shuffle. I listen to all kinds of music. Any recommendations? Once again, not too bulky please. Maybe a budget of up to $200? Thanks a million eh.

Try the audio-technica series, esp wrt the A700s or A900s. A900s might be slightly out of your $200 budget though. Audio-technica cans can generally be played right out from your ipod without a need for a troublesome and expensive amplifier.

Edited by david.chew

If u want close cans but not portable is the audio technica art series. Low impedence cans tat sounds pretty good right out of a dap. A Amp can still improve their performance. An A700 is right about your buget or u can get a second hand A900, But since you are looking for portability and block sound, theres the IEMs you can look too. Full close cans tat can actually block sound are pretty big lol.

Edited by tassardar_