Sign in to follow this  
yotiao

A Special for Grado fans

How does the PS1 sound compared to the other grados?

It's time consuming to perform a serious A/B test, just roughly some impressions :

(Note: All headphones with their default bowl pads, bagel pads respectively, unless otherwise stated)

PS1 vs GS1000

The PS1 does not have the "overemphasized bass" I initially thought after reading so many reviews/impressions over at head-fi. It's perfect controlled and very tight and real like the bass on GS1000. The bass on GS1000, was slightly loosen in comparison. I don't think they compete against each other at all, they each do different things well and they are the examples of two different presentations of the Grado sound signature. One thing of note, I find it very, very easy to discern the sonic characters of every cable, interconnects, and of course, cdps and amps with PS1 & GS1000.

PS1 vs RS1

According to the seller, my PS1 was a 'new old stock" and still comes with warranty. So I took it as a 'new' set and some running in were required. Straight out of the box, the PS1 sounded like the well run-in RS1 and more refined without the piercing highs. The bass on PS1 also have a greater and better impact, unlike RS1. PS1 has a slightly bigger 'soundstage' than the RS1, with better depth but RS1 does imaging better (weird). PS1 has just nice decay which is not overly done like the RS1. Both are aggressive and sound more in your face, but the PS1 was something has better control aggressiveness for all kinds of musics I'd tried. After the comparison, the PS1 is really way overpriced. But I really lost in the angelic voice of Jeff Buckley when using the PS1, on the other hand, I love Robbie Williams with RS1, :sweat: Furthermore, PS1 is less fun and RS1 is hell a lot of fun excitement involved. I find myself getting back to the PS1 more and more nowadays, for its purer, refined, and quality sound.

PS1 vs MSPro (reversed bowl pads)

Sorry, I have not been listening the MSPro for the past three months ever since GS1000 and RS1 have gotten all my love & attention. I did not like RS1 at first, but it grows on me like I never expected. I love MSPro at first sight, but it's not for longer relationship. Err..

The PS1 is great, smooth and effortless, no sibilance detected, but isn't too good of a p-to-p ratio (well, after living with it for sometime, I don't even feel the pain of forking out the $$, every time I listen to them, they put silly grin on me :thumbup: ) I feel that the PS1 can be better, but not yet. I am afraid I may end up rebuild my setups JUST for them :mellow: So please take everything I said with a big grain of salt.

I am not a basshead and not even care about bass, but the bass on PS-1 is just sooooo nicccceeeee!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Wow. How much dough? :D

hehehehe, kekekeke, cough cough..

Very nice mini-review, yotiao. So would you be unloading any of the grados?

None at the moment :P

But most likely I will let go the MSPro if it keeps collecting dust in the future :ppth: