Sign in to follow this  
tassardar_

Hornet "M" Impression

Just wanted to let others know how I feel about the amp, since not many expensive portable amps are discussed here.

The Amp discussed here is the Hornet "M" with over 200+ hrs of burn in time. Headphones used is a MS2i and UM1. Player used is an Ipod Nano 2nd gen since we are talking about portable here. This is the first time I posted something like this so do forgive me if any mistake and misconception is given.

The Hornet "M" is technically quite a small amp. Its slightly shorter then a go-vibe5 / 0ha. Made fully from metal and pretty durable. Batt life is about 30+ hrs with alkaline and <14 hrs with rechargable.

From multiple listening using MS2i:

With the amp attached, instruments become clearer and more distinct. Without the amp, the instruments seems all mixed together. Especially the softer guitar sound and background music gets all jumbled up. Bass also gets a boost and become more tight and slightly punchy. Vocals seems more upfront and clearer.

From using UM1:

Most people know this is a very sensitive earphone. Using the amp, the sound seems more open (increase in soundstage) Instruments are more spread out and clearer. Vocals feels more substance and are more promenent. Bass gives more impact. On general, without the amp, theres a slight veil over the music, with the amp on, the music becomes more clear.

The previous portable amp I used is a Xenos 0ha-RHP. Compared to it, the Hornet improvement is significantly better. However the price difference of 6x does hurt though.

If anyone else heres owns this amp feel free to add on or correct me. Will also like to look at impressions on other imported amp like Xin.

Edited by tassardar_

Guest joi-ful

Have you tried the Xenos REP? I thought that is a pretty good amp.

I tried it with the UM1 and the bass slam + increased warmth + increased soundstage was shiok!

Btw is it worth amping the UM1 in your opinion? Seems like you've not upgraded your IEM even after improving the rest of your set-up.

Edited by joi-ful

Didnt upgrade my IEM is because when i audition them, didnt really find the difference worth it. Maybe Ill try them again in the future.

Amping the UM1 can produce siginificant improvement but it isnt really worth it (in this case using something way more expensive to get that improvement). Usign the rhp previously didnt really produce much difference. Though if you use something like im716 (hardest to drive of similar price range) u sure need an amp if u run it out of a nano lol.

Hi there. I'm also looking forward to getting a Hornet.

Since its not essentially a very big price difference between the Hornet and the SR71, are there any incentive(s) to choose the SR71 over the Hornet?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MemoryLane

Guest Cruise

MemoryLane:

I have read this in Head-Fi..

Hope this would helps!@~

Im might be getting the Hornet, thou Im stil eagerly waiting to compare them with Portaphile's predecessor Shohin before digging hard to my wallet..

Edited by Cruise

Guest joi-ful

Hmm, maybe a mid-level amp for my UM1 would be good.

Sick part is carrying an extra black box around... argh!

Portable audio no more.

Btw how much did u pay for the amp?

[attachmentid=3697]

The IC is Stereo Electronics latest Cresendo lineout lol. Thanks for replacing mine yesterday for its faulty connector. Great Service :)

post-2794-1164543228_thumb.jpg

Guest joi-ful

Woot! Really sweet.

Tested out the Crescendo lineout and it's really great! Made a hell lot difference in SQ.

UM1 + Xenos REP (thru lineout) gives a better sound compared to upgrading to the UM2 IMHO. Sigh. Dunno whether to upgrade to better IEM or get an amp. Really kills portability I feel.

Hmmm, maybe buy more CDs instead? Haha.

Tassardar, why not get yourself a decent CDP? A good source would really do justice to your MS2i.

Guest Cruise

tassardar, e hornet cost like USD$350, tats abt SGD$540.. how much did u paid for e shipping? is e pair of 9V Batt recommended? or should i get e Maha?

e crecendo interconnect looks like e Jena Wire Cryo Dock.. wondering whether its e same.. :mellow:

Guest joi-ful

Haha. Most probably different. I think Aron made the lineouts and ICs himself.

On the other hand, if they are the same stuff... Even better! SE selling at $79 while it's USD 98 for the Jena Wire Cryo Dock.

Guest joi-ful

Sorry to OT a bit more.

Has anyone tried both the Crescendo lineout to Qsilver lineout? Maybe can give a mini-review between the two? Haha.

The good thing about Qsilver lineout is flexibilty to change the ICs..