Sign in to follow this  
Tournesol2000

Question from a Newbie re: CMOY 2

Hi everyone, I am a newbie with this. I am waiting for parts to arrive and for the boad to come in. I am really excited to get this going. I can solder (I'm OK), but I have a couple of questions.

1) do the resistors and capacitors have to be put in facing the correct way, or does it matter which way they face?

2) What is R11? I could not find any specs for this resistor!

That's about it.

Thanks in advance.

Albert :helpsmilie:

Edited by Tournesol2000

resistors dont as far as i know, but for metal caps (the black cylindrical one), yes it matters (but you can see the +ve & -ve on the cap itself).

post a pic/link of the schematic so we know what you referring to..

Hi everyone, I am a newbie with this. I am waiting for parts to arrive and for the boad to come in. I am really excited to get this going. I can solder (I'm OK), but I have a couple of questions.

1) do the resistors and capacitors have to be put in facing the correct way, or does it matter which way they face?

2) What is R11? I could not find any specs for this resistor!

That's about it.

Thanks in advance.

Albert :helpsmilie:

Hi Albert,

1) Resistors do not have polarity, so you can orientate them anyway you want. But some of us fussy people will want them all placed so the colours stripes are in the same order. Look prettier. :P Capacitors are varied. Some capacitors are polar, ie they have a + and a - side, so you need to observe this or the caps will say bye bye when you turn on the power. Some capacitors, mostly film capacitors do not have polarity and so you can place them in either way. These normally will not be marked with the + or -.

2) The R11 is used to control the current flowing thru the LED. This is from the post with instructions on building the CMOY2. Note that it recommends 3K ohm.

Step 8:

Insert R11 current limiting resistor for the LED. Omit if you don't intend to have any LED. Try to use 1/2w carbon resistor. There is no polarity indication on the PCB. The top is anode (+) and the bottom is catode (-). The approximate formula is:

Iled = 5mA

Vled = 3V

9V = 3V + (R X 5mA)

R = 6V / 5mA

= 1200

Note that it is base on 9V supply and you wanted to feed the LED 5mA of current.

I would suggest to set the current lower to 2mA to save power, use a 3kohm resistor.

Hope you are ok now.