Sign in to follow this  
kevyan

What's the diff? WMP vs CDex - 192kbps

Hi all,

is there a difference when I use Windows Media Player to convert my CD to mp3 - 192kbps, compare to CDex converting it to 192kbps too....?

Hi all,

is there a difference when I use Windows Media Player to convert my CD to mp3 - 192kbps, compare to CDex converting it to 192kbps too....?

Eh... can someone tell me if there's any difference and what are the difference? Thank you.

Because I find that using WMP to convert CD to mp3 is much faster....

MP3 itself is a standard format but there are many coders out there. The reason why WMP encodes faster can be due to a more effecient/faster encoder or may be more information lost per encoding. Generally the difference between similar bit rate are really low so getting the faster one will be better. (this is my opinion as a computing student)

Edited by tassardar_

MP3 itself is a standard format but there are many coders out there. The reason why WMP encodes faster can be due to a more effecient/faster encoder or may be more information lost per encoding. Generally the difference between similar bit rate are really low so getting the faster one will be better. (this is my opinion as a computing student)

Hmm... :blink: Sounds logical.... I shall hear from others too...

I found some info on wiki, quite interesting.

Can read the section under "Audio quality".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

"As well as the bit rate of the encoded file, the quality of MP3 files depends on the quality of the encoder and the difficulty of the signal being encoded. As the MP3 standard allows quite a bit of freedom with encoding algorithms, different encoders may feature quite different quality, even when targeting similar bit rates. As an example, in a public listening test featuring two different MP3 encoders at about 128kbps[2], one scored 3.66 on a 1-5 scale, while the other scored only 2.22. Quality is heavily dependent on the choice of encoder and encoding parameters."