jlingo

Sensaphonics Vs. ES2

I thought I would like to write a little bit about my personal experience with ES2 and Sensaphonics. Hopefully, this would be beneficial for everyone. It has been a few years since I used Sensaphonics. It has been such a great companion. I just received my ES2 a few days ago, so I thought this would be great time to share some information.

For first timers into Custom Mold:

I recommend ES2. Why?

-The price point of ES2 is making it very attractive. It’s also highly accessible in Singapore. You can always order it through Jaben or Stereo Electronics. I did my impressions at Jaben. It was seemless and painless. It was done right on the spot which means the impressions were still fresh and ready to be shipped to Westone. My ES2 actually came with a perfect fit. I’m noticing the shape and curvature of my ES2 are close or if not identical to the ear impression which I find very surprising. I have done moulds for Sensaphonics, E500, swimming plug, and they are all not identical to the ear impressions. Well it’s definitely not as detailed as this one.

-ES2 is also much easier to insert and pull out compared to Sensaphonics(Silicon type). It’s made from a hard, solid, and sturdy material. When you put it properly into your ears you would notice the comfort straight away since you may hear some sort of locking Thug, or click sound when you twist inserting it. After that all you have to do is to press gently at the base without further twisting move to make sure that it’s firmly seated.

With Sensaphonics, I’m having a hard time judging whether it has been seated correctly or not. Due to the fact that Sensaphonics are a very soft silicon material, so you tend to insert it too deep inside or over twist it(The silicon is more bentable and stretchable compared to the Acrylic), both however will result in a good seal, but you may notice pressure or tightness feeling inside your ears which are not so comfortable. With overtwisting or overinserting, you may also feel discomfort with Sensaphonics after 1 hour or more usage. Keep in mind that I found no Sealing problems with both Westone and Sensaphonics. You can never have over twisting or over inserting with acrylic material since you will notice a discomfort straight away.

The pressure becomes very troublesome when I’m on the plane. With sensaphonics, I’m getting some sort of suction so the sensaphonics pressing very tight onto my ears so it could be quite uncomfortable. I do not notice this problem with ES2 while on the plane.

Summary of Sound:

Sensaphonics win hands down in terms of tonal balance. The high is good and the bass is very tight and accurate. If you are looking for a more accurate sound presentation, Sensaphonics is for you.

Although, ES2 is colored towards midrange, but the midrange itself is very sweet. The instruments are played in a very musical way with good decay. The only problem is that ES2 high is really rolled off compared to Sensaphonics. I’m already used to the sound signature of Sensaphonics which is a lot brighter and more detailed. I have to turn on treblebooster in my iPod everytime I need to use my ES2.

Apart from that I think Sound Qualities have been covered many times by other members in the forum which are quite comprehensive.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank both Jaben and Westone for making this happen. ?

Edited by jlingo

Nice review. You seem to be the only one in Singapore to own the Sensa's. Where did you get them?

Nice review. You seem to be the only one in Singapore to own the Sensa's. Where did you get them?

Hi,

I bought it directly with Sensaphonics sending the impression via mail directly to their office in Chicago.

IPB Image

Edited by jlingo

Would just like to clarify... is what the head-fiers call "yearly maintainence" true? Throughout the period of time you have owned your sensas, have they ever malfunctioned on you and (touch wood) if they did, how much did you have to pay to get them repaired?

Would just like to clarify... is what the head-fiers call "yearly maintainence" true? Throughout the period of time you have owned your sensas, have they ever malfunctioned on you and (touch wood) if they did, how much did you have to pay to get them repaired?

Yes it did once after 1.5years and It costed me USD$300.- to replace both drivers. But Sensaphonics sounded much more superior than ES2.

Just to continue some sonic differences:

It's very unfortunate but I prefer the UM2(UM56) in comparison to ES2.

I find UM2(UM56) has a better bass articulation, sweeter midrange, very involving, and less hiss which in turns resulting in darker background(Nice one), the high is Less Harsh or smoother should I say, better decay very musical.

I find ES2 to be less articulate, less bass, very 2D flat, analytical, dryer.

I hate to come to this conclusion but that's what I found with my ears.

Paired with Max-Out Supermacro IV OPA627, UM2(UM56) leaves ES2 to dust. UM2(UM56) becomes 3Dimensional, super-Sweet! addicting.

ES2 doesn't seem to respond well with Supermacro IV Max-Out, OPA627.

You have to swap your opamp to OPA134, it's got more synergy to ES2.

Edited by jlingo

Hi jlingo,

Did you find the sound change after you had your Sensas remade? I've heard from certain people that Sensaphonics updated their ProPhonics 2X-S. They're supposed to sound brighter than before.