Sign in to follow this  
provider

Ultimate 5EB vs Sony Fontopia EX70

planning to get new ear phones.. for better sound quality and better or same bass as the sony..

i've more or less settled on ultimate 5eb .. coz i like the bass of sony and crave more for it hehe

my question is, is it overkill for mp3 players? and is the 5pro's bass more or same as ex70?

I saw a announcement on the forum that ultimate 5eb are going 209 at stereo elect.. how is the price of 5 pros? And what is the difference between ver 1 5eb and ver 2 5eb?

thank you for any help that you can provide. first time premium iem earphone buyer..

also, any online store selling this with local warranty?

If u ask if its overkill, not really lol. 5EB is made as a portable but solid bass IEM which mainly targets the MP3 player market. It probably has one of the heaviest bass but since I only listen to it once n never heard ex70 before cant really comment.

Price of 5pros is in the mid 300 range alot higher then 5eb. Difference in version is the cable but i may be wrong.

the bass on ex70 is stronger than 5 pro, but its very muffled and dont have the punch.

5pro,s bass is tight and punchy, although not as strong.

One thing to note however is ur taste for sound. At first i was addicted to the bass sony provides, however after switching to um-1, i realised i enjoyed clarity of sound over heavy bass.

Next switching to 5.pro, i realised it maintained it's clarity while adding more bass comparing to um-1 due to the dual drivers. =D and it's still my current love.

oh the 5EB bass is overkill. I got a headache after testing it for 15mins.

Dual drivers are better at adding bass without the reduction in clarity. Owned a UM2 and its above the UM1 because of it. Then again I prefer my grado anyday though :P

thanks for the inputs..

still questions

1) what exactly is the cable difference between version 1 and version 2 ultimate 5eb? comfort? neck styleness?

2) is there any online store selling them

3) is it 1-1 exchange or do i have to wait if i need to claim warranty at stereo elect?

1) I believe version 2 has thicker cables which is less prone to entangling and damage but comfort might be compromised due to the increased thickness. In any case, the UE cables are user replaceable. SE has them for 40 if I'm not mistaken.

2) Yes. earphone solutions is one of them.

3) It's covered by a 2yr international warranty if procured overseas. However I was told by a fellow forumer that local warranty is only a year, claimable from the shop. SE exchanges a brand new set on the spot.

Local warranty for UE is 2 years local or international. Usually we do a one to one exchange unless,

1. We don't have stocks. For that reason, you can either wait or contact the local distributor to arrange a exchange at their office.

2. The fault is not a manufacturer defect. Example,

- The golden pins connecting to the IEM is bent too much.

- The cable is disconnected ( maybe at the Y joint).

- The IEM is cracked up beyond hope ( run over by a tank)

Hope this helps.

just got it from SE yesterday .. tried others but din get the level of bass of the 5eb

still trying it out, think i am gonna like it, except for the part of wearing it in an odd way.. it also heavier and bigger than other earphones.. all minor issues

the packaging was such that I had to use scissors, and wires were on the way .. good thing I checked before cutting

thanks for the inputs all

209, version 1 .. he din wan to lower the price. . either my skills sucked or I took up much of his time with questions ahaha

Edited by provider