Sign in to follow this  
kursed

UM56 or Cans

I've some spare cash on me these days and I can't wait to spend it on something worthwhile :P. Now I'm a newbie in this audiophile business and currently own a portable rig that consists of UM2s and a Xin Supermini IV. And it's been a month since I've been hooked on it (2 for the UM2s).

So I've a choice to make to whether to go for customs for the UM2 or get myself a pair of CANs (i've never owned one before). Now, I need help from you people in reaching a decision as to which one I should go for? And considering the fact that I'm in love with my UM2s which CANs would best suit my hearing taste?

P.S.

I don't own a solid state amp at home so would require to run the CANS (if i end up buying one) directly off the source or via the mini.

Budget: 400-600S$

Edited by kursed

the only custom for your budget is ES1 / Um 56

cans wise i am not very expert on it...

Edited by Xiao_Catz

For about $400 to $600, you could get yourself some decent cans. However, unless you intend to use them at home, I'd think it'll be too big a hassle to enjoy good sound.

At the price point, you could have a:

-K701 (order from Northern Sounds and Lights, their price is rather good if the offer is still on),

-DT880

-MS2 / SR325i

and probably the HD600.

All are decent headphones, and deciding between them would be a matter of personal choice and music taste.

I'll be using the cans at home for sure. Thats why I mentioned that please recommend those that can directly be driven from the source since I don't have a solid state amp at home.

Sorry, my mistake. I somehow misread the amping thing.

The MS2 and SR325i will be able to be used without amps. Personally, I find Grados rather nice unamped, with their low impedence. However, an amplifer will definitely be good. The other headphones are slightly more difficult to drive.

Another choice would be the Audio Technica A900/AD900. Both are rather easily driven. The A900 is closed-back whereas the AD900 is an open headphone. Another possible choice would be to wait for the A950LTD to be released.

Remember to audition the headphones before buying.